Embarrising question

· 8 · 2200

GWtaylor

• Name: Gary Taylor
Embarrising question
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:36:03 PM »
What does diff lock mean on my 90 as i though it drove in normally in 4wd and diff lock meaning all 4 wheels at once

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

This is my first ever 4wd car

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: Embarrising question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »
What does diff lock mean on my 90 as i though it drove in normally in 4wd and diff lock meaning all 4 wheels at once

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

This is my first ever 4wd car

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.  The diff-lock locks the split of power between front and rear axles. It means that if one wheel loses traction both wheels on the other axle are still driving, rather than all the power going out through the spinning tractionless wheel. Helps with situations like "Cross-axleing" where you would otherwise be stuck on a hump with one wheel flapping in the breeze.

You'll get through muddy patches with difflock on that would otherwise see you with one wheel spinning in the mud.....on the other hand you may just get further into the mud before getting REALLY stuck :-)

Come to the Tyro this weekend or the Driving day at the end of the month and have a shot, ask questions etc - always some clever clogs on hand to show off  pass on their valuable knowledge :-)

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

agmech 53

• Name: Jim Wilson
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 07:04:15 AM »
Agree with genem, always better to ask a silly question that make a silly mistake.

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »
Like all road cars the LR has differentials across each pair of driven wheels to allow the outer wheel to travel faster around a corner than the inner wheel.

When you have 2 driven axles they also travel around a corner at different speeds - the front axle has a greater distance to cover than the back axle.

So, a third differential is added between the 2 axles to allow each one to turn at a different relative speed to each other. So yes all 4 wheels have power available to them all the time, however as the guys above have said when off roading the power takes the route of least resistance so what can happen is if one wheel on one axle is waggling in the air, it will steal the torque from the other wheels on the ground, spin, and the car stops moving forward.

What your difflock does is force the front and rear axles to turn at the same speed, which will mean you keep moving in the above scenario because there is 50% torque sent to front and back axles. So instead of a minimum of 1 wheel drive with no difflock, you will power at least 2 wheels with the lock engaged.

A cross axle situation where diagonally opposite wheels are off the ground will out smart the difflock. What you need then is either traction control or a second locking diff in an axle. With that engaged you will get 50% torque to each axle, then on the axle with the second locker both wheels will be forced to turn together. This guarantees at least 3wd.

A locker in the second axle will result in true 4wd, where each wheel receives 25% of the total torque.

Hope that helps, difficult to explain without knowing how much you understand mechanically but please ask for more if you need!

Steve

stage recovery

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:26:28 PM »
Better to ask the question here rather than your "friend" that thinks axle ratios differ between front and rear :) :) :) :)

Dave T

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 07:00:14 AM »
Do not leave it in difflock all the time though, it is only intended for when you may lose traction not for general use, you could cause damage to the drive train.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 12:42:53 PM »
Come to Drumclog, and I'll talk you through the various things....

GWtaylor

• Name: Gary Taylor
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »
I will but missus just broke her arm so the 90 won't be getting any use for the next couple of weeks :(