Bio diesel

· 8 · 1964

Jaymac

• Name: James Williams
Bio diesel
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »
Hi All

I have a 2004 TD5 and looking to run it on bio diesel if this can be done, also I am having problems starting first thing the car runs lumpy for about 10 seconds or so then runs fine all day. Hope someone can help.

Cheers

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
Re: Bio diesel
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »
Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator driver side of the engine at the back below the rocker cover if it's leaking common problem . Don't know about the bio diesel I thought it was to viscous for the lift pump in tank and the injectors ran at such a high pressure ran at very fine tolerance for fuel quality. But if it is possible then i would also like to know anything to save money on fuel
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

Jaymac

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:09:43 PM »
Hi thanks for the info I will look into this tomorrow.

Jaymac

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:44:08 PM »
Hi put the bio diesel in running great will let you all know if I have any problems, I checked the fuel pressure regulator yes it is leaking but just leaking would that cause it to start lumpy for ten seconds as I am not sure.

Cheers for all your help

allen

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:16:45 PM »
i had major problems on bio diesel order a fuel pump soon you will need it  :( tdi's run fine on it i would never run a td5 on it again infact i will never run a td5 again  ;)

robertspark

• Name: Rob
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »
From my research into biodiesel a while ago, the issue is a twofold issue.

1) lubricating properties of biodiesel means the certain types of fuel pumps do not last long.  (older mechanical pumps appear to be ok, modern ones don't seem to fair so well, can you convert a TD5 to an older style of fuel pump??)

2) rapeseed biodiesel perishes some types of rubber.

Search google for TD5 + biodiesel and you will see the consensus of opinion.

The "safe" arrangement seems to be to avoid 100% biodiesel (B100) but use a biodiesel blend (or blend it yourself by putting part normal diesel + part B100).

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 11:13:10 PM »
If there is air in the fuel system then yes the engine will run rough until the air has been purged out and leaking fuel is wasted fuel u can get a o ring seal kit or get the fuel regulator for piece of mind
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:04:55 PM by vag_landy »
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

Jaymac

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 10:41:07 PM »
Hi just like to thank u all for the help, fitted my new £130 fuel pressure regulator (probably a Ford part) and now working great, as for the bio diesel I am now running on it is working great for now will keep u all posted.