110 chassis change

· 14 · 3561

araon

110 chassis change
« on: April 03, 2012, 06:58:16 PM »
ok anybody can you please help? i am currently repairing my old g reg 110 defender,i have a 2005 td5 chassis that i would like to fit as i picked it up very cheap, i have no chassis plate with it and would like to understand fully how i can fit this to my 110 legally, i understand i can get some sort of check on it but i am unsure on how this works, the chassis is legal from a breakers yard with invoice but no v5,can anybody please put me out of my misery and guide my in the correct direction, any help would be great thanks. 8) 8)

allyipod

• Name: Ally Conlon
Re: 110 chassis change
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:26:10 PM »
Done a bit of looking into this and as far as i can find out the chassis will be stamped with a No on the offside front dumb iron. So it is not possible to keep the original reg.
mm0pod

georgew

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:26:44 PM »
If this link works it might explain it to you,
 or you will find the DVLA info about registering a build using a used chassis and getting a IVA and a VIC done.
Or call them and they will send you an information pack which will be the 'lastest requirements' incase anything has changed.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/buyingandsellingavehicle/registeringavehicle/dg_10014246

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

araon

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
at last! thank you very much, looks like my old rover will end up a q plate but that's cool it will still be the dogs off road, ;) ;)

allyipod

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:48:04 PM »
Would it not be better just to buy a new chassis?
mm0pod

Floyd

• Name: Graham Dallas
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:52:11 PM »
I thought Q plates were no more.

I believe you get an age-related plate now
Graham

---------
'95 Defender 110 300 Tdi

georgew

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 11:39:28 PM »
Maybe they are no longer issued but they were in 2011,
the DVLA will soon tell you if asked.

If that is the case that they are not, what  age are they going to be relating the age related plate to?

http://www.forums.mg-rover.org/archive/index.php/t-454297.html

george
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:17:08 AM by georgew »
www.recce-gear.co.uk

araon

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »

maybe i should just buy a new 110? and you can lend me the cash.

allyipod

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:00:01 PM »

maybe i should just buy a new 110? and you can lend me the cash.

I would if i had the money but my landy is way over budget at the moment. Sorry i have seen chassis on flebay go for 8 to 9 hundred pounds and a new one is not that much more just thought you could keep your reg doing it that way.
mm0pod

scotdub

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 11:30:53 AM »
I know its abit rough but could you not just change the chassis and get rid of the number on the chassis with a grinder.

Who is going to check it is not an original chassis??  You get to keep your reg and less hastle.

Just a thought.

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »
I know its abit rough but could you not just change the chassis and get rid of the number on the chassis with a grinder.

Who is going to check it is not an original chassis??  You get to keep your reg and less hastle.

Just a thought.

<facepalm>

Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

robertspark

• Name: Rob
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 12:19:31 AM »

Just a thought.
:o did I read this correctly, on an open forum?

best to do it above board, if it gets inspected and something does not look quite right, the will confiscate the lot and scrap it.  There are enough ringers running about that I hear checks are being carried out more frequently, given the defender seems to be desirable as a stolen vehicle or for parts.

You will not have a leg to stand on, the problem with a q plate seems to be insurance, I would recommend that if you have the choice to try to avoid reusing a chassis and go with new.

georgew

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »
Really insurance on a Land Rover with a Q plate should cost no more to insure than any other Land Rover, when insuring with a Land Rover friendly company.
It can actually cost less when it is a Re-build.
www.premiumchoice.co.uk
among many others will cover a Q plate vehicle, ex-military or rebuilds ex.

Your Insurance companies and Brokers that like providing cover for straightforward standard or un-modified vehicles can be awkward or un-interested.

george
www.recce-gear.co.uk

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 04:52:31 PM »

Your Insurance companies and Brokers that like providing cover for straightforward standard or un-modified vehicles can be awkward or un-interested.

george

Agreeing with George  :o  ...Just insured the lightweight with Footman James - 1/3 the average cost of the quotes from the "normal" insurers - including a substantial discount for being an SLROC member. Asked for "Classic" limited mileage cover and ended up with unlimited mileage for only £12 more - and specific mention of cover on GRR, without prompting. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....