Noisy in 4WD

· 11 · 1918

dalbuie

• Name: David Black
Noisy in 4WD
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:25:05 PM »
Hi,

Before I strip things and have a look I wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of what may be wrong.

My 109 LWB drives well in 2WD, low ratio 4WD and and under 35MPH in high ratio 4WD. It's also OK while accelerating or under power at higher speeds when in high ratio 4WD but as soon as I take my foot of the throttle and try to coast or slow down there is a 'clattering' noise coming from the transmission. This is only when in high ratio 4WD so I'm discounting the gearbox etc. My plan was to look at the transfer box for worn bearings etc but wondered if this issue might ring a bell with anyone or if there's anything else I should look for.

Thanks
Never look into a laser with your remaining eye!

georgew

Re: Noisy in 4WD
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:31:06 PM »
Is this happening when off road on loose surfaces with with the need to be in 4wd
or are you in 4wd high on road surfaces with good traction?

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

dalbuie

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 10:46:05 PM »
Hi George,

Happens when on normal roads with good traction - noticed it when I switched to 4WD a few weeks back when just trying to keep everything free as 4WD hasn't been needed for a while.

Never noticed it on my very short off road adventures, probably as I've never ventured above 20MPH when off road.

georgew

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 10:52:30 PM »
Do not run in 4wd on road unless you are on snow or ice & you will be fine i would think.
(tomorrow night and Tuesday then when the snow comes. lol)

I would read up on your vehicle and its drivetrain, it is not permenant 4wd, part time 4wd for use where your rear wheel drive does the job.

george
www.recce-gear.co.uk

dalbuie

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 11:36:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

After doing some searching and reading after your comments I now realise what a pillock I am and will go off road to keep the 4WD moving in future :-[

Floyd

• Name: Graham Dallas
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 11:46:27 PM »
This is a place of learning, the day you don't learn something is a day wasted ;)
Graham

---------
'95 Defender 110 300 Tdi

elegia

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:35:11 AM »
It might be worth giving your LR a good reverse (in 2WD) just to "unwind" the transmission.

Graeme

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 03:12:10 PM »
or do as the army used to do run one side on the grass verge      the majority of 4 wheel drive systems get torque wind up

dalbuie

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 05:30:43 PM »
There's a muddy area at the edge of the ploughed fields near by or a loose gravel area at the back of Fenton Barns, would a slow drive in 4WD on these sort things out?

Scott

• Name: Scott MacNab
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 06:13:11 PM »
might not be the same thing but all the series landys I've had make a clanking noise when you take you foot off the accelerator, mainly down to backlash in the transfer box and diff and all the other badly fitting bits, not much you can do about it tbh it's just normal

many folk seem to panic about using 4wd on road but so long as the roads a bit slippy from the rain etc they are fine, it also handles vastly better too in the rain at high (landy high) speeds, i.e 4 wheel drifts round country roads :) considering some of mine were utter piles of worn out junk then using 4wd on the road if it was going to break something would have

low ratio is also very good in traffic jams as you can pop it into low and let it idle away rolling along at less than walking speed, better than an automatic

georgew

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 07:00:30 PM »
 I dont remember there being much rain or slippyness in the last week. ;)

Crawling along in a straight line or even a bit faster without doing any cornering on a non slippy surafce is unlikely to cause any wind up when it is a vehicle without a centre diff.

Now tonight, it looks like there will be plenty of slippyness about in the East. enjoy.

george
www.recce-gear.co.uk