Evans Halshaw

· 13 · 2899

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
Evans Halshaw
« on: March 11, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »
My dad is looking for a new 4x4 that has to be big enough for his homemade dog box. He took me along as I briefly worked for Arnold Clark and he thinks I'm an expert ??? I'm actually not bad at estimating the trade/auction value.

We ended up in Edinburgh and looked at 3 discos which had all seen better days but the garages still wanted silly money. I poke my finger through ones wheel arch! He saw a Kia Sorento which he liked but I talked him into going to see a jeep cherokee at Evans Halshaw ;D

We got to evans halshaw to see the jeep but my dad blanked it in favour of a very tidy 2000 plate disco. Evans had just got it in as a trade in and a quick poke about showed a comprehensive LR service history.

I asked the sales rep how much and he told me they wouldn't sell it saying they were sending it to auction due to it's age and to cover what they had given as a trade in as they would not spend any money prepping it.
Now one of the reciepts I found was for a major service just a few months earlier and I estimated it was worth approx £4k at trade which was my dads budget. I was spot on with my estimate as I checked later.

I said to the sales rep if that was the case it was just like a private sale and buyer beware which we would accept.

The sales rep  then done the "i've got to speak to my manager" and went off to the office. He came back and said they would sell it for what they gave as a trade in. This was with no warranty or anything and then asked for £5800!!

I kept a straight face and told them to send it to auction as I live 2 minutes away and will take my chances there.
There was no way those plonkers gave £5800 as a trade in and were being cheeky trying to get a forecourt price. It's trade value in excellent condition was £4200.
Shame as well as my dad had his heart set on it and would have given then the £4k on the spot if they hadn't been silly trying to get extra money.
We will be off to the auctions  when it comes up for sale probably  :)

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: Evans Halshaw
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 10:05:58 PM »
Some other garages are a bit more sensible. I've done several deals with a local LR main dealer, taking trade in vehicles "at cost". Mind they don't always send vehicles to the nearest Auction - They know they'll get better prices down in Englandshire.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

piper5

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:56:39 PM »
does anyone have access to a proper trade glasses guide to prices, it would be interesting to see what the book says,
most td5 discos are struggling to get 4k on ebay etc but some garages near me have fleets of them at 7-8k, they have been there for months too.

boghog

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 11:30:39 PM »
Might be worth giving Python a PM to see if his Disco is still for sale as it seems similar to what you seemed to be looking for?

http://slroc2.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7200.0

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:34:20 AM »
I have 5 friends who have bought cars from Evans Halshaw in Sighthill, every single one of them has gone back with various problems. Wouldn't go near the place myself!
Steve

Graeme

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 12:45:54 PM »
nobody ever sold a perfect car     you sell for a reason    usually they need money spent on them

scotscim

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:41:13 PM »
I have 5 friends who have bought cars from Evans Halshaw in Sighthill, every single one of them has gone back with various problems. Wouldn't go near the place myself!

I would stay well clear of them as well, i had nothing but bother with a car i bought from them a few years back. The most unhelpful crowd i have ever delt with.

greig
Greig

1996 Defender 110 300tdi station wagon

1953 series 1 80 inch

kenny

• Name: kenny grier
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »
we made the mistake of buying a car from them, a 3 year old focus with 35000 miles, it was a bag of nails and to top it off they had fordged the service history.

The man in charge was a smug git so it was a joy to get a full refund 6 months later and trading standards went through him like a laxative!

With regards to auction prices for a Disco, this time last year i bought a 2 owner 2003 td5 gs 73000 miles full history nice tidy ish for £4,200

so there is no chance they gave £5800 for a 2000
2003 discovery TD5 GS

Nanocom evo

R110KSS

• Name: Mark Reid
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »
nobody ever sold a perfect car     you sell for a reason    usually they need money spent on them

I did I sold a perfect C-Max nothing wrong with it & just had new tyres and brakes. Due to Company car forces sale.

The C-Max was perfect and we did think about keeping it unlike the brand new Defender thats had 3 trips back to the dealer!!!!!

But the very day the advert went live her in doors put £10 of petrol in it? It's a TDCI lucky for me she drove a shot distance we drained it filled it with good as new after a drive. Phew!
Find me on Facebook

Graeme

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 03:22:07 PM »
so not realy perfect in the true sence    i did hear if you missfuel a landrover and call out the landrover assist it goes and gets every part that the fuel touches replaced or the warrenty ends     cost about £7000
is it the same faults that the defender is giong in with

Tim

• Carbon has a footprint but it has no feet.........
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »
Usually if you have a misfuel under warranty it requires a whole new engine and fuel system as LR will no longer guarantee that the seals haven't been affected by the benzine in the petrol............... it isn't covered by the warranty and will cost in the region of £7k all in - £9k for a TDv8 engine. Does the TDCi not have the clever mis-fuel prevention device that all the other recent Land Rovers and Range Rovers come with?
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior
Gone - Fuji White RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux Plus
Staying - 1996 Epsom Green TDi 300 CHT that is now a CSW

R110KSS

• Name: Mark Reid
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »
so not realy perfect in the true sence    i did hear if you missfuel a landrover and call out the landrover assist it goes and gets every part that the fuel touches replaced or the warrenty ends     cost about £7000
is it the same faults that the defender is giong in with

It was perfect when it went to press. What confused her was all the Landrover courtesy cars were petrol Honda Civic's. Then jumping back in the C-Max she stuck Petrol in it. I think if you put Diesel in a Petrol its game over. It was running fine the next day.
Find me on Facebook

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 03:00:49 PM »
Meanwhile, back on the carp customer service thread... :-)

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....