Intense Muppetry

· 10 · 2123

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Intense Muppetry
« on: February 16, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »
I would like a word with the clown who decided to weld the bolts on my exhaust. What an utterly stupid idea, effectively makes it impossible to replace any single section of the system on its own.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Mikey

Re: Intense Muppetry
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »
Hi Gene,

I'll bet it made sense at the time!

I'm currently pulling apart and putting back together my Classic Rangie, and I've noticed that some previous owners seem to have done some extraordinary 'adjustments' and 'upgrades' to various mechanical and electrical systems.

I was considering writing an open letter to all these owners asking them "WHY?, WHY?, WHY? did you do THAT! Didn't you think that one day somebody might want to remove that part when it fails??"

Grrrrr....
Mikey.
1985 110 CSW, 300Tdi fitted.
1993 Classic LSE, V8 LPG.

Tommy B

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:05:39 PM »

Exactly....why weld the bolts on the ehaust, surely cable ties and gaffa tape would be the better option!!
Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »
REME  ::)
She said at my age I need something else to play with

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »
I copied this out of the technical repair manual for you. Hope  it helps to over come some of the problems.  :D

Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »
Brilliant!  ;D

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:32:02 PM »
I got to the bottom of it - Its flaming Britpart. They actually weld the bolts in from new! Must be a some cunning plan to make sure you have to buy two sections of exhaust, at least, every time. With my resources at home I was unable to shift them, even after angle-grinding the heads off - no fun lying on your back in the yard... so ended up taking it to Lix, as I knew they had the parts if required... easy enough job to knock out the "studs" after a quick blast of "Gas Axe"....and then round two started. The existing exhaust was all over the shop, bodged brackets, brackets swapped about and in the wrong place, all sorts. Initially any which-way we tried fitting the new exhaust it fouled something. So - new intermediate pipe, different tail pipe, swap a couple of brackets around and fabricate a new midsection bracket.... all lines up, no fouls and relative quietness reigns. Hoorah !. Thanks to John at Lix for getting me out of a hole there. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 07:07:41 AM »
.....  I've noticed that some previous owners seem to have done some extraordinary 'adjustments' and 'upgrades' to various mechanical and electrical systems.
SPOTs (Stupid Previous Owner Tricks) as they are also known as

.... not to be confused with CRAP (Clever, Resourcful, And Practical) - when I do it ;-)

konads

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 10:09:37 AM »
Had to laugh at the weekend. I knew the bulkhead on my S1 was ropey - started stripping it back to get on with welding it up and found that the top rail is composed entirely of filler. Since when was filler considered a viable engineering material!?

Another fave was the block of firewood in the drivers door of my disco to stop the window going all the way down (and hence getting stuck). Unbelievable.

Mikey

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:41:47 PM »
Another fave was the block of firewood in the drivers door of my disco to stop the window going all the way down (and hence getting stuck). Unbelievable.

Ahem.....

I might possibly have the same aftermarket fitment in my One-Tens passenger door.......

Although mine's just a bit of old 3x2 pine stripwood, I looked into it and the Land Rover Genuine part was a piece of antique mahogany with a nice marquetry inlay.
Mikey.
1985 110 CSW, 300Tdi fitted.
1993 Classic LSE, V8 LPG.