200 tdi

· 9 · 1936

knuckles

200 tdi
« on: January 20, 2012, 07:09:28 PM »
Any idea how much you'd expect t pay for a decent complete 200 tdi for an engine conversion.

georgew

Re: 200 tdi
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »
I would think you can get it for Free. Or near enough.

Buy a complete 200tdi Disco that runs, but is a MOT failure rot box.
Maybe between £500-£600 depending your luck.
Take your engine & sell the rest as best you can on Ebay & For sales & weigh in the rest.
You are selling the Turbo, gearbox, transfer box etc, so depends how good they are.

Or if you buy a good engine from someone else doing that same thing, expect it rto be from arounf £200-£500 just to get the engine.

Its a seems to be a sellers market just now for good engines.
Maybe the person doing your conversion has a better chance of getting you an engine.

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

knuckles

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »
I was going to do the conversion myself. There's an engine on ebay for £650 its paint gold and the seller is claiming is a gold seal engine. When i served my time at a BL garage we did gold seal engines, do they still recondition engines? I'm limited for room for keeping a scrap car around my house and it would need to sit on the street to allow me to do the conversion. Looked for a discovery fairly local but can't seam to find one.

georgew

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 08:54:20 PM »
I would forget the Gold Seal engine.

If no room yourself, maybe try to get a Drive in a MOT failure & see what the engine is like.
If you can not store while breaking, just get the engine out & have the scrappy collect the rest.
Costs much less than £650 that way.

Maybe someone will give you the space to take the vehicle to remove the engine for you giving the remainder free.

Where are you?

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

knuckles

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:53:56 PM »
I'm in Clackmananshire. In not  a big hurry but would like to get the bits gathered for the conversion as i want to get it done this summer. 

knuckles

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:55:30 PM »
Is it a major ball ache to fit a 300 tdi into a light weight?

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
300? Not sure.... the exhaust pipe will be interesting (it comes out quite far forward on the engine)

If its ann early one, then four wires are all you need (lift pump valve; heater-plugs; 2xstarter. If its later, they start getting electronics.... and I don't know then  :D

DRH

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 10:30:04 PM »
Robert Sneddon at Falkirk has recently fitted a 300tdi to his Series 2a. 

He had to re-make the exhaust  and engine mountings and I think he put the Disco Radiator in it.  With the wings off, he managed to get in about everything.  It's a "snug" fit but it's certainly do'able with the right facilities, and the motor goes well.  I think the only thing he didn't do was fit the intercooler, but it doesn't seem to be causing any running problems.

I'm sure he changed the electronic injector pump for an earlier one he had lying around on another engine, but when the engine's out it would be better to change the timing belt anyway, so changin the pump shouldn't be a great hassle. 

Duncan

knuckles

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 06:01:23 PM »
Getting a 200tdi from a disco delivered on Monday :D will be a couple of months before i take it off the road to swap engines, gonna do my replace my vent panel at the same time, also need to fix my leaky roof too! Gonna be busy in the garage for a while.