Conversion

· 14 · 1913

knuckles

Conversion
« on: January 16, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »
Hi
   Any place locally  that does petrol to diesel conversions or places which sell all the bits to convert my lightweight petrol to 200 tdi diesel?

keith

rover51

• rover51
Re: Conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:53:25 PM »
Hi Knuckles
I don't know if they do the conversion you are after and they aren't local but have you looked at Steve Parker Conversions?
Also on ebay.

I'm in no way affiliated to them.
I wish I knew more,
But then, don't we all.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:52:12 PM »
Any number of the usual suspects will do an engine change for you - GEMM, Strathearn Engineering, Lix Toll etc. You'd have to have the conversation about who supplies the engine, warranty ( if any) etc.  Steve Parker - already mentioned - do bits, as do MD Engineering. Get googling...

The general advice seems to be that a 200Tdi will blow a series gearbox & transmission to bits relatively quickly BTW, so plan on maybe fitting it as a 200Di - no turbo ?

Whats the main thing you are after - faster, more economy ?   
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

knuckles

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:06:07 PM »
Not after speed, I've been using it everyday for work. My Honda type R only averages 28mph when using it for work. trying to make it more user friendly and to be honest i don't think the engine is that healthy thats in it, sound like there might be small end bearing away in it, but can't make my mind up if its the engine or the gearbox that the noise is coming from. If i could get it up to 30mpg it would do me.  I can't get it in my garage to do the work myself as the roofs to low hand can't get it in. Will start to do some homework on 'internet see what the best options are.

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 06:48:21 AM »
The general advice seems to be that a 200Tdi will blow a series gearbox & transmission to bits relatively quickly BTW

Don't tell Alex that: he's been running a 200tdi in his Series 1 for 3 (4?) years now.... and its the same 'box that was on the back of the Naturally Asthmatic 2.5 diesel that was in it for several years before that!

We've given that car some abuse over the years: up to three drivers in a CCV, and we don't come that far down the finishing order either!

The trick is simple maintenance: change the oils, and change them regularly (6,000 miles, when you do the engine service...)

rangerovering

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:42:34 AM »
To use the technical term, don't drive like a m*ng and the box will be fine ;) 35mpg will be instantly possible, many report over 40mpg going on a run.

Taking the turbo off makes the conversion much much quicker and simpler, in fact if you can turn a spanner then it is well within your capabilities. As said you will also preserve the boxes with not having the sudden onslaught of torque dumped on them.

The only area of alteration for a Di is the battery tray, you could cut it off and bolt back on again a little higher to clear the timing case or put it under the seat - choice is yours.

Steve

georgew

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 10:34:42 AM »
Some reading, and a very helpful and nice chap if you require some bits for the conversion.
www.glencoyne.co.uk/200di.htm

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

knuckles

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 09:46:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice Gents. Any ideas as to where the best place to get a decent 200tdi to do my conversion with?

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice Gents. Any ideas as to where the best place to get a decent 200tdi to do my conversion with?

Cheapest would be an Ebay MOT failed Disco 1. You might even make money by stripping it and selling the bits you dont need before weighing in the rest as scrap. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

georgew

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 10:01:28 PM »
For sale/wanted section of SLROC forum would be favourite i think for finding an honest seller that will give the history they know regarding the engine.
(always a good thing IMO)

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 01:59:36 PM »
I know someone with a good 200tdi that I think is for sale, im saying I think coz he also has 2 300's that he is keeping for projects so the 200 might be available. ill find out and let you know.
Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

rangerovering

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 02:04:33 PM »
Depending what you want to spend there is a company in Leicester that will pick up the car and do all manner of work to it and deliver it back to you. PM if you are interested.
Steve

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 03:52:02 PM »
Go to a Trial, speak to the driver of Boghopper.... poke around the car: see what he's done & how he's done it....
(He lives over in East Lothian)

knuckles

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 09:02:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies, hope to get to some events soon with the Lightweight, missed manor powis due the master cylinder packing in, got that fixed now though.