Advice needed on cylinder head removal,

· 5 · 1308

Dunc

• Name: Duncan Thomson
Advice needed on cylinder head removal,
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:00:43 AM »
After sorting my steering vibration problem, I made it to the Boxing day bash(on the end of a tow rope)just about.there was an airlock in the radiator and it looks like the cylinder head gasket is blown,There is no water in the oil so reckon it has went straight into the pistons, the water must have went somewhere if the Reek from the exhaust pipe was anything to go by.So I was wondering what gaskets ,bolts and stuff I will need to strip down and rebuild a 300 TDI and if Paddock would be the best place to get it from??????      PS got home on the back of an AA  truck.
If a hammer won't fix it, get a bigger hammer !!

Ripped007

Re: Advice needed on cylinder head removal,
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:20:35 AM »
Glad you managed to get back home to Shotts. Your welcome to a tow anytime as I may need you to return the favour sometime...

Bob...

piper5

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 07:37:58 AM »
i have done 2 300tdi head gaskets lately , not a bad job , i would strip the head first and check its not warped, tends to be about no 4 piston they go
i used good quality payen gasket sets from the local factors they cost ?85 , you get the head gasket and the top end set seperatly, you can get much cheaper gaskets but beware.
check what gasket has been fitted they have holes punched to identify thickness last 2 i did were both 3's
you need a torque wrench and more important angle gauge.
the back bolts dont come all the way out because of the scuttle panel iif its a disco, so use an elastic band to hold them half way up the head when you remove and install it.
watch out for the little caps on the valves when you lift off the rocker shaft
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:41:50 AM by piper5 »

Dunc

• Name: Duncan Thomson
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 03:17:15 PM »
 ::) Sorry forgot to mention its a 300 TDI in a  defender,and by the way thanks for the tow in Bob. Paddocks are ?39 for the top end and bolts+ ?14 for the gasket set,but will I need anything else apart from divine inspiration ?
If a hammer won't fix it, get a bigger hammer !!

piper5

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 05:53:05 PM »
you wont need anything else but worth changing oil, filter and antifreeze obviously,
also worth cleaning out the bolt holes with airline, i found the water went down the bolt holes when i lifted the head,
grinding paste to relap the valves and valve spring compressor .