"d" notices for green lanes

· 7 · 1579

s lees

"d" notices for green lanes
« on: December 17, 2011, 08:49:19 AM »
I was wondering the other day about having a system set up with in the club to D notice lanes that need resting I am also trying to get a download of the OS maps so we can have a catalogue of useable lanes for members. May be some one has already thought of this but I don't know about it interesred in thoughts and feelings on the matter.
300tdi disco
WVO addict

georgew

Re: "d" notices for green lanes
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 10:00:28 AM »
By 'Lanes', do you mean 'resting' Vehicular Rights of way & Public highways in Scotland,
or are you talking about some system for Greenlanes in England?

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

s lees

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 02:24:13 PM »
souyh of the border green lane is slang for B.o.a.t. or bye-way open to all traffic don't Know what you call them up here and it doesn't matter too much as I thinking more of a club scheme to let members know where they can drive with out causing any trouble or damage to worn tracks
300tdi disco
WVO addict

georgew

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 02:53:05 PM »
I might be wrong as usual,
but people driving off tarred routes/roads in Scotland usually know where they can drive.
Public roads
or on Private roads with the Land Owners permission.

There is not much more than that.
If you have found legal to drive routes that have damage,
maybe best to stay off them if its just for leisure use, so that locals can use them for getting to their homes and business/work.

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

s lees

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 11:24:45 PM »
So wouldn't it be good to have a ould even be directory of legal places to drive off road it  could even be grading
300tdi disco
WVO addict

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 08:21:43 PM »
Agreeing with George here  ( :o :o :o) ...

The concept is interesting but basically there are almost no routes in the sense of an english "Green Lane" here in Scotland so its pretty much a non-starter. All our GRR take place on land where we are driving with the landowners permission - often hard won.

The concept of the "over-used Green Lane" that are controlled by voluntary restrictions down south is therefore a non-starter. The routes don't exist so they can't be "over-used".  What there are are various sites where people go to play with their bike or 4x4 without permission - old bings and other derelict land, as seen on U-Tube etc. Whats happening there is actually illegal and I doubt we would be doing our case any good at all by publicising any such action.

On the more positive side, the Club does get involved in working with landowners who have let us use their land for events or GRR as a bit of a thank-you - standby for requests for volunteers to help with a bit of labouring next year.

Another positive bit of work might be to research the what routes do exist. The famous example would be the Corriearrack Pass - where the legal status is disputed by the landowner at the northern end and the route has been blocked for over 10 years. I'm not aware of any other legal routes tho - and I've been looking for a long time.

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Ged

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 08:52:17 PM »
So wouldn't it be good to have a ould even be directory of legal places to drive off road it  could even be grading

nope. then every idiot with a ?200 quid POS turns up and ruins it for everyone.