Tomcat 100 inch Comp racer build

· 46 · 26113

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
Re: Tomcat 100 inch Comp racer build
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 08:50:08 PM »
If its a wee bit over, you get a warning & allowed to play (but it needs to be right the next time).
If its a lot over, no playing.....
:)

robertspark

• Name: Rob
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 09:26:03 PM »
Hello,

My first post on this forum, I must say this tomcat looks very interesting.

Questions:

1) the TKO600, who's done the adapter for the LT230 transfer case?? Rakeway or someone else? 

2) The bellhousing, is it a GM - T56, with spacers to adapt it to the TKO600?

Many thanks for any direction you can give, I'm in the process of putting an LS7 into a 90, and am having gearbox dilemmas as to which way to go...
TKO600, 6L80 (but there is a torque issue here and controllability as it's all fly by wire via the GM controllers, and the 6L90's seem hard to come by, as well as figuring out how I'm going to get an LT230 on the end of it) or T56, T6060 (same issues with the LT230 though).

Originally I was going to try to see what the torque rating of the LT85 was, but I'm not sure as no one seems to know what rating the LT85 has or is likely to withstand, I am aware that they tend to go through bearings with constant high speed running, but like all gearboxes if I could keep the oil temperature down, and maybe look at mods to the bearing specs it may just hold up, but I'm not sure about the actual mechanical strength.  I have a HD LT85 (non-splitcase) reconditioned, but there is no sense in wrecking a good box.

With regards to the rest of the drivetrain, I am intending on using True trac front + rear torque proportional differentials and a Quaife LSD within the LT230 which should go some way toward spreading the engine torque around the drivetrain components a little

Thanks for your time in advance, Rob

corvettedave

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 11:56:03 PM »
Hi Rob, the LS7 into the landrover should be a monster!

the tko600 adapter was done by rakeway, iam sure rakeway could build an adapter for any gearbox, but may cost more if they have not done it before

yes the bellhousing is a t56 bell, with the rakeway doing the adapter/spacer, they used the t56 bell, cos its fits better to the ls3, compared to using the bell that fits the tko600, which is older in design and doesnt fit 100% to the ls3, it will fit, but you have some missing bolt holes in the bell, to suit the ls3, so iam lend to believe

I would go with the tko600, it can handle 600lb/ft of torque, your engine will be at 500lb/ft of torque, the lt85 was never built with that amount of torque in mind, it will just a matter of time for it to destroy it self, not too keen on the autos for a racer either

regards the diffs, Iam using tomcat lsd system in both front and rear, and then ashcroft joints, shafts, stronger crown and pinion, pegged, etc, Ive been told the weak piont for me will be the landrover diff case, thats what will break, just need to be carefull with the throttle!, only time will tell

the lt230 transfer box will be run as standard and just see what breaks, have it in locked diff when racing

Keep in touch, post some pics of your monster and where abouts are you located?

cheers

dave

Pilot Custard

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 04:35:40 PM »
So dave..... will it be ready for Sunday?
:D

corvettedave

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »
So dave..... will it be ready for Sunday?
:D

No chance!, 2 months away I think

cheers

dave

Pilot Custard

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 04:24:51 PM »
Forrest for its first event.... bring a brick for under the accelerator pedal ;-)

corvettedave

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 09:56:17 PM »
lol, Yes u maybe right

dave

robertspark

• Name: Rob
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 12:08:14 AM »
Thanks for the info Dave,

I'm based in south Lancashire.

It's a nut & bolt rebuild (started off as a chassis replacement, but has grown), at present am rebuilding the axles, rear disk brake conversion using the well known Salisbury conversion, but on a HD 90 (v8, 4-pin diff) landrover axle, and galvanising everything with a god quality galv paint (in my opinion) after it's all been sandblasted to base metal. (bit of a perfectionist unfortunately).

I fancy a 6 speed box, as its my toy, most of my mileage is on road, but I prefer the understated appearance of it.

I'll be in contact with Rakeway to discuss the options and let the forum know in case there is another nut looking at a similar conversion in the future when the realisation bites that an LS can be sought for less than a Rover v8 with a decent power rating for the capacity increase out of the box. (no stroking, merlin / wildcat heads / cross bolted block / slipped liners, etc)

Pilot Custard

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 06:53:23 AM »
an LS can be sought for less than a Rover v8 with a decent power rating for the capacity increase out of the box.

It can..... but it means the car is no longer ALRC compliant.
Not a problem for the SCCC comps, but it does rule you out if you are hoping to do any of the club championships

sainter4x4

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 10:31:32 PM »
will it be ready for next event

corvettedave

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 11:51:59 PM »
Not a chance, I wish it could be, there has been delays for parts, radiator and diffs, got wiring loom, which Iam fitting as we speak, just so much to do and always takes longer than you think!

you racing at the next event?

cheers

dave
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:54:04 PM by corvettedave »

sainter4x4

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 09:43:03 AM »
oh yes its the best one of the year minus hill rally

Pilot Custard

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 09:23:49 AM »
So.... ready for Forrest Estate? (16/17 June)

corvettedave

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 07:25:40 PM »
I wish, to many parts been delayed

dave

corvettedave

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 09:04:25 PM »
new seats

dave