3 amigos?

· 7 · 1770

piper5

3 amigos?
« on: December 01, 2011, 05:02:51 PM »
my disco has spat up the three amigos fault lights today , abs,tc,hdc, nanocom read fault 24-06 left rear sensor.
i take this means near side rear abs sensor , and as such probably means a new hub?

gary1968

Re: 3 amigos?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 05:23:44 PM »
Oh dear, check the reluctor ring is not broken or full of crud, that can throw these lights on on a Hippo. Can you not just change the sensor without chaging the whole hub?

Gaz

coolcamper55

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 07:08:17 PM »
I had the same issue last month with my defender and it went away after about an hour. I found what it was when I was changing the brake pads on the front wheels. The wire to the senson had been nicked, probably by a stone when playing about at Drumclog.
After inspection a copious amount of insulating tape was applied and it has not re-appeared.

boghog

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:12:41 PM »
Apart from checking the cable for abrasion and water ingress at the connections, some people have had luck by 'nudging' the sensor further into the hub such that it sees the reluctor ring again. Not done this myself but I believe there is a small grub screw which holds the sensor in place and if you can slacken it (obstacle number one) and you can find a suitable implement to allow you to adjust the position with the No.1 engineer's adjusting tool then it might be worth a try.

If the hub itself is obviously worn then it may be as well cutting to the chase and replacing the hub which as you seem to know will come with sensor attached. I believe you can buy sensors separately but if you can slacken the grub screw enough to remove the old one you may as well try moving it first?

piper5

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 07:31:52 AM »
thanks i had read of the trick to bend the sensor, i think by the time you access the sensor at the back the hub has four bolts left to change it, not like the front wheel where you can see the sensor,

DRH

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 08:35:23 AM »
I've had the same problem recently with mine, and with Pitcaigs help I thought I had it sussed but I'm still left with an irritating fault.

The same fault code came up (n/r sensor) but there were other issues coming up - one of which was low battery voltage.  I knew the battery was poor so changed it and some of the other faults went away, leaving the n/r sensor message.

I unplugged it and connected a known good sensor and two of the 3 amigo's went out leaving the abs light on.  So I checked the hub and it seemed to be ok so ordered a new sensor and fitted it without the o ring so it sat lower in the hub.  I put silicon around the neck of the hole to prevent dirt ingress.

Initially the abs light wouldn't go out until the car had been driven a distance (similar to the D1), but after that everything was ok for a few days.  Then after the car had been parked for a couple of days, the 3 lights wouldn't go out or would go out and come on unexpectedly on the road but without the 3 chimes that indoicate a major fault.

I'm not sure what this all means, but it looks like I'll need to try and get the codes read again to see it there's something else triggering this off.  If it's the same fault, then it looks like I might need to replace the hub.  Maybe that's why a lot of peole go for the hub right away rather than changing sensors.

Duncan

piper5

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
well i have just removed the hub complete which is not a bad job , caliper/ carrier then 4 bolts, hardest job was the hub nut 32mm and a big bar and me jumping on it ;).
the hub feels rough and the sensor is so badly corroded it wont come out anyways, so new hub on order ?175.

a friend in the trade told me last year when a front went that he changes both front hubs and advises the customer that the rear hubs will be the following year, oh how i laughed at him then :-\ guess i will be getting the fourth hub for christmas then.

and to top it all the wifes just text to say her car has put up a fault code, thats all four cars in the house broken down in the last 2 weeks