110 melting handbrake cable

· 10 · 1934

piper5

110 melting handbrake cable
« on: November 30, 2011, 05:52:46 PM »
help , my 110 melted the handbrake cable, so common cause is earthing thru it, so i have cleaned and remade the connections on the earth straps and added 2 new earth straps, one from the gearbox to chassis and one from engine to chassis. it melted another handbrake cable in under 10 miles.
so i am thinking now it must be a bad earth cable  and plan to replace the cables completely, anything else to look for?

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
Re: 110 melting handbrake cable
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 06:06:03 PM »
what about............................................

Battery -ve to chassis to Gearbox  ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D
Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

piper5

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:14:02 PM »
hi mike i have had them off and cleaned them, i filed the eyes till they were nice and bright and cleaned the posts with angle grinder, i am beginning to think one of these cables is broken internally, its only happened since i had the transfer box out.

stage recovery

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:33:25 PM »
Richard, if the lead between the chassis and transfer box is the flat multi braided type I would replace it with a bit of welding cable,the braided one on my V8 110 had lots of strands, none of them connected from one end to the other!

piper5

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:22:14 PM »
cheers colin it has a bit of heavy cable that a previous owner did but it seems very hard liks its power station cable ::) rather than soft welding type cable so i think its broken inside, will find out tomorrow hopefully

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 02:38:21 PM »
I ran a negative direct to the engine..... solved all sorts of problems :)

piper5

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:10:44 PM »
well i removed the battery to transfer box cable its hard as hell in the middle so i think thats the issue i now have engine to chassis , gearbox to chassis , tranfer box to chassis and battery to transfer box all new cable so we will see.

tio

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 10:02:33 PM »
sorry to hijack guy's but i would just like to say for the benifit of others trolling, if you notice any of these braided earth straps on you landie please remove them and replace with cable ones, the braided strap's are a fire hazard and it doesnt take much current at all to light them up (ask me how i know) anybody that had a mispent youth with wire wool and a battery will have a good idea what i'm on about,,,lol

Spaceman

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 10:37:17 PM »
am trolling ill need to check i may have one of those on the old series i did change one out for a proper cable

davidham

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »
check any other earths that there may be, if any are onto the bodywork then that could cause it to earth through the handbrake cable.