10AS ECU (Alarm unit) TD5 Defender 110 02 Plate with Central locking

· 5 · 4450

corbett891

Hi all,

Ref my central locking it looks like the problem is the above unit, a landrover dealship want ?500 + to replace it, which I am generally saying thanks but no thanks.

How hard a job is it to replace?

I can take the drivers side speaker of and see the unit and see at least one screw that needs undone on the right side to hold it in place, but access looks pretty tight.

How best do you remove and replace the unit?

Do you have to remove the plastic surroundings, if so how hard is this?

I believe that once you get a new unit I willl have to get the key fobs reprogrammed, does anything else need reprogrammed as well.

Also is it best trying to source a new unit or a second hand one of ebay?

Many thanks,

John

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
Re: 10AS ECU (Alarm unit) TD5 Defender 110 02 Plate with Central locking
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 02:43:45 PM »
Have you tried E.S.ALTERNATORS
 Landrover Diagnostics in kirkintilloch
 they will reprogramme fobs and mite be able to fix the alarm unit their phone number is 0141 776 3689
They reprogrammed my ECU, would happily recommend them.
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 07:52:59 PM »
i might have a spare 10as unit or 2 knocking about,

can u get all the numbers off your 10as?

if you change 10as you will need to make the ecu learn the 10as, & also recode the key fobs as necessary,

on my td5 i have 3 ecu's all taught to 1 10as to make swaping ecu's easy & have turned the key fob & alarm stuff off internally so it should be easy enough to go the other way
Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

corbett891

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:51:53 PM »
Cheers guys,

Ive had to move down to Plymouth with work so Im down here the now, (Being in the military can be a right pain sometimes)

Ive spoke to a local garage who will fit a new unit and reprogram the key fobs for ?40 + vat,

They also gave me a 4 x 4 breakers  phone no in yorkshires CWS breakers I think was there name, anyway I gave them a call and there sending me down a 10 AS unit for 65 quid plus vat and while I was at it a TD5 fuel filter housing (mine snapped and Im currently using the cable tie method) for ?35 quid plus vat and p & p they use next day delivery so its came to about ?127, including a 3 month warrenty on the parts.

There phone no is 014588 34930 if its any use to u guys.

Is it the right 10AS unit? I told them it was a 52 Plate defender and the green unit, they didnt ask for numbers so I dont really know to be fair, but I will have a look tomorrow and give you my old number, does it have to be in a certain number range for it to work?

On a slightly seperate note is it worth buying one of the hawkeye ,namcom diognistic tools?

I understand that they tell and clear fault codes, which is handy enough but i would be interested to know if say it would have been of use in this case inrelation to the new alarm unit talking to the engine ecu so the engine will start?

Also I was thinking in the future I may have to think about a engine change on my defender, I mean its running well the now but it has done nearly 160,000 miles.

So would you use the namcom to reprogram injectors on a new / second hand engine or am I just getting a bit ahead of myself here. Also is the engine change pretty straight forward, Ive swaped a 300tdi engine one for one about 4 years ago and that seemed pretty easy.

Your thoughts gents are always appricated? unlike my crap spelling :-)

Many thanks,

John

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:00:39 PM »
i have access to a hawkeye & a friend has an autologic,

generally the hawkeye does 90% of the stuff i need to do & the autologic does the rest,

the 10as ur getting should work but i believe there is different specs internally of them but not sure exactly how to tell without trying it on the car
Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left