Postal Scam
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:02:23 AM »
Postal Scam:

Please circulate this, especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been
confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people
aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel
Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and
that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize .

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will
already have been billed ?315 for the phone call.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:57:56 PM by PGTips »
Discovery 2 ES TD5 Automatic (2000)
De-EGR, CDL Fitted, K&N Air Filter
Member of 'The D2 Boys Club'
Landy Watch

Graeme

Re: Postal Scam
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 10:45:08 AM »
who is going to bill you  and how do they access your shillings

PGTips

• The Deni Reid Band
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 11:28:44 AM »
I think it's just the cost of the phone call when you call them back to see about your missed package.
Landy Watch

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 12:34:39 PM »
Thats an old, old scam and I think the phone line has been discontinued - but a handy reminder to take nothing at face value !
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

PGTips

• The Deni Reid Band
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »
Someone on the D2 Boys Club has said that there local Police and Post Office are warning about this type of scam as it's still on the go.
Landy Watch

Graeme

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 05:22:47 PM »
so bt are coluding with the scammers when they set up there phone line    this has been going on for years  if you call the number and are billed   by the time your account comes in bt have paid the scammers then it is client confidentiality (them and bt) you are seen as a cash cow both for bt and the scammers and it takes ages to get a refund if at all
there used to be a scam that used your computor to dial a number at night and you were billed for it     the same urine they were customers of bt and bt could do nothing investigate yes refund not a chance
thank god for being a ludite at least in the old days dick turpin wore a mask

coolcamper55

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 06:04:57 PM »

KIERON

• Name: Kieron freyne
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 10:01:30 PM »
the service provider "BT " does not generate additional revenue from such scams and spends a lot of time and money working with OFFCOM and the police to catch such operators-im not sure all the other SP'S spend so much time doing the same.
88 bowler
80 tomcat

Graeme

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:06:55 AM »
bt collect the money through YOUR bill   and if you dont pay even for scams    your cut off        they take there own sweet time in finding out it was a scam    in the meantime you have to pay and await a refund

coolcamper55

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »
the service provider "BT " does not generate additional revenue from such scams and spends a lot of time and money working with OFFCOM and the police to catch such operators-im not sure all the other SP'S spend so much time doing the same.

I can assure you they do, having worked for most of them in that particular aspect. The phone company puts a block on outpayments as soon as this thing becomes apparent Operators like BT are more than happy to hold onto the dosh for as long as they can and have the facility written into the T & C's of customer contracts and inter operator contracts. Most also have sophisticated fraud systems that can spot irregularities in billing which throw these up very quikly in some cases within 24 hours

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 05:50:02 PM »
Having also worked for BT in their billing dept. If you have a dispute, you pay the amount on the bill you are not disputing whilst they investigate. BT never had a problem with this arrangement. Couldn't comment on other service providers but BT was actually quite sensible about their handling of disputes, or at least I was if you got me. ;D

KIERON

• Name: Kieron freyne
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 12:05:02 AM »
ross,what would we know about bt revenue generation- eh? ;D i will miss your bottle this year ;)
88 bowler
80 tomcat

georgew

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 06:24:02 AM »
Senior BT and middle management should try to phone BT sometime.
In their own time with their own money on their own phone.

If they had 'Internet Connection' available they should try to find a website that tells you how to buy BT Internet connection,
but then try to buy it over the phone.
(Try to find a phone number to actually speak to someone. Try to find an Email contact to send a message that might get a reply)

If you could buy a Phone Line & Internet connection they will be told to keep track of the Phone Connection, Internet delivery etc online.
Not so simple if you do not actually have a Internet connection already & the reason you want one installed.

'They should try from a Mobile phone to call BT to say that their Landline or Internet connection is down'.

I would love to know how they feel when you get the pass around from various World Call centres that promise the world & 'Call backs',
or they get an Irish, Welsh, Scottish, English person that they think can help, & in the end up wishing they were back with an 'Out Sourced' centre who ight actually try to assist & then ask for points out of 7 for their good service..

BT is a national joke.
Any idea of them having Customer Service & the users needs is ridiculous.  obviously only my opinion.
Quick to start Debt Collecting on Customers even when the billing is their mistake, cant see they are so good to deal with when fraud is involved, what do you do phone them?
on what number? they only ever seem to want to put you through to sales i you can get through.

george

Rant over, Breath now and calm for the rest of the day,
no need to deal with BT ever again thankfully!!!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:28:45 AM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

stan

• Ex Military 110
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »
Yes George, it all went downhill when they started giving people phones with dials on them. BT, or the Post Office as it was in my youth was a lot better when you had to pick up the handset and ask the operator to put you through to the number you wanted. Much more civilised and she (it was almost always a she) never mentioned recording the call for training and quality control purposes. And she was always there, I don't know when the poor woman managed to do shopping and cooking and run a house but there we are, we gave in to equality and all they want to do now is a couple of hours in the call centre then off to a wine bar or the ladies gym or whatever it is they do. So there we are, there's another problem analysed and sorted...it's all the fault of women and their never ending quest for not only equality but superiority.
Now what were we talking about.......?

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 12:07:52 PM »
Err.... going against the flow here, but I've just swapped our landline back to BT from Talk-Talk and moved our ISP from AOL to BT as well. It all went swimmingly, really easy and very little hassle at all, spoke to folk here in the UK and never hung in a Q for more than a minute or two. Helpful sales staff put several packages together to deliver a phone/internet package tailored to our needs. I'd give them 9/10 frankly.....as opposed to the Talk-Talk/AOL combo ( Same company BTW) who promised the earth, failed to deliver and then tried to charge me ?350 for cancelling the contract - that they admitted they could not deliver anyway !

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....