Vibration on full left steering lock

· 7 · 1319

corbett891

Vibration on full left steering lock
« on: November 06, 2011, 05:43:41 PM »
As it says, when Im manouvring my landrover 110 TD5 52 Plate and go full left steering lock, I get vibration on the steering wheel and noise which can be heard in the cab.

Only happens when I go full left lock, not full right lock.

It only happens when moving, not static, Ive had a look underneath and cant see anything ovbious rubbing, anybody got any ideas?,

Many thanks,

John,

whistler007

Re: Vibration on full left steering lock
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 05:55:22 PM »
CV joint?

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 06:17:34 PM »
Distinct "clack, Clack Clack" when on lock at low speed ?  CV joint would be my guess.  Not a hard job to do, nor that expensive.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »
Sounds like the tyre's rubbing the suspension arm on full lock. Look for a polished bit on the suspension arm where the tyre rubs, the noise and vibration is the cleats on the tyre rubbing the arm as it rotates. Normally caused by non standard off set wheels or over size tyres normally an aggresive tread pattern makes it worse, adjusting the steering stop bolt will stop this. Normally a cv joint makes a noise on full lock if faulty but you don't feel anything in the steering.

cheers,
            Stevie.

corbett891

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 08:17:24 PM »
I am thinking it must be something rubbing, Ive just replaced both CV joints so Im hopefull its not that unless ive really done something wrong,  I'l have a look at the steering stops tomorrow,

Thank you.

Graeme

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 10:00:56 PM »
your steering stop adj bolts are all that is required if you have replaced the cv joints unless that one is goossed

corbett891

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 05:50:51 PM »
Found the problem, the tyre was rubbing against the radius arm, adjusted the steering lock bolt, job done ;-)