Overheating?

· 4 · 1460

Floyd

• Name: Graham Dallas
Overheating?
« on: October 30, 2011, 09:47:50 PM »
Hi all,

My 300Tdi Defender temperature gauge claims the engine is overheating.

I've replaced the radiator - it was dead, thermostat, temperature sensor and I've bled the system with the rad & thermostat plugs out.

I noticed tonight that the gauge goes up when you are coasting/in a high gear - give it some beans or change down and the gauge comes down, sometimes as much as a 1/3 of the range (the opposite to what you'd expect).  I also noticed that it flies up into the red on right-hand bends.

I'm confident the engine is not overheating - I'm guessing the gauge is goosed or is it something simpler like a bad earth connection?

Anyone had anything similar? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Graham
Graham

---------
'95 Defender 110 300 Tdi

aqms987

Re: Overheating?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
 I suspect the likely cause is an airlock in the cooling system is the cause, I recommend bleeding up to the highest point (normally the heater hoses at the matrix.

Scott110

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 10:50:47 PM »
Had no end of issues with my guage reading hot when i dumped a 300tdi in the POG. In the end i bleed the sytem with the thermostate removed for a few days and it removed huge voids of trapped air. Now she runs cool and runs very well.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

Floyd

• Name: Graham Dallas
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:51:34 PM »
Thanks for the advise guys.

I had her out last night and hen I parked up it was in the red.  I switched the ignition off then restarted a few seconds later and it registered a needle's width below the centre i.e. Normal.  I still suspect it may be an Earth.

I'll have a go at bleeding it as suggested above, I may also run a direct earth from the gauge to the chassis or battery and see if it helps.
Graham

---------
'95 Defender 110 300 Tdi