Defender Steering Box Leaking

· 9 · 4768

banzia

• Name: james
Defender Steering Box Leaking
« on: October 22, 2011, 04:09:39 PM »
Hi Folks,
Just about to put the truck through MOT and after giving it the once over have discovered a leak from the Steering box seal at the steering arm.  I know that this will be a defo fail as not advisories are allowed for steering box leak.... So...

Has anyone on the site stripped down and changed the seals on a defender steering box?
Would I be better of buying another box, a second hand one might have the same issues....

Any advise or suggestions greatly appreciated...
thanks
james
I Need To Stop Eating Biscuits

diesel jock

Re: Defender Steering Box Leaking
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »
Hi mate had same problem bought a recon unit exchange from paddocks complete with drop arm,took me about 2 hours to change it. Think it was around ?150 +?100 surcharge which you get back when you return the old unit easiest way to go fitting seals is a waste of time and money
Cheers
Stewart

banzia

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 07:51:25 PM »
cheers thanks for that
j

coolcamper55

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »
I did the same as Stuart, with a recon from Paddocks, you also get a 12 month warranty with it.
Suggest you also get the drop arm as they are an absolute pig to get off the old one.
Also helps if you can get someone to assist when you are trying to attach it to the chassis as its a heavy bit of kit to hold up while you jiggle about trying to thread the bolts thro.
The re-attachment of the fluid tube can be a real bother needs a lot of patience.

Good luck
T

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 08:40:46 PM »
http://www.adwest-engineering.co.uk/

Buy the best, then you know it won't go wrong. My replacement one has never been great, was garage supplied so can't say 100% for certain where it came from but at the time the price suggested one of the big online stores. It has leaked to varying degrees for 5 years (since fitment) and the backlash preset is pretty crap, too much play about the dead ahead position (and no you cannot tighten them up becuase get it wrong and the bearings fail and you lose steering).

I'm going direct to Adwest next time....
Steve

WELDER 1

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 10:37:09 PM »
had customers with same fault they put in power steering and automatic tramsmission leak seal and has cured problem one customer has now had 3 mot.s after using this fluid

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 10:44:38 PM »
Hi mate had same problem bought a recon unit exchange from paddocks complete with drop arm,

....Thats set me thinking. I can't remember if the recon box fitted to mine came with a drop arm or not - but as you may have read elsewhere I've since discovered that the drop arm on mine was the wrong one so kept working loose.

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

banzia

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 08:30:34 AM »
I will be changing the box and if the drop arm cant be removed I will get a new one taking into account genems comments...
Welder had an interesting comment regarding the ATF  although I dont understand how it stops leaks from box...

When I sort the steering out that just leaves me with two other issues, 1: exhaust downpipe. 2: (A) frame bushes.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 12:10:58 PM »
I think the comment was about leak seal fluid for power steering, not ATF itself ?

Wish I'd known such a product existed before I spent a fair bit of time and effort to get our van through its last MOT !

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....