Be Aware

· 10 · 2145

Dogman

Be Aware
« on: October 20, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »
Due to many things I have not been on this forum for a while but just as a heads up to the members thought I would pass the following on.

I reside in West Lothian. On Monday night (about 00.30 hrs Tuesday Morning) two young lads possibly using a white transit size van made a very determined effort to nick my Defender 90. Although I am not involved in competitions etc my landy is fitted with heavy off road tyres, winch, rock sliders etc. Police who attended tell me that there has not been a high number of vehicle thefts in the area so I am of the opinion that this was a deliberate attempt to steal a Landrover. Makes you wonder if they see a particular vehicle on the road they follow it home.   

kevy

Re: Be Aware
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 03:50:07 PM »
Scum bags think il have mine looking rough as hell to put them off seems to be the nicer it is the
more attractive it is to teeleaves  :(

Cheers for the heads up though !!

Piwi

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 04:25:13 PM »
Out of interest did you have any extra security measures on place on vehicle ? Was it parked on road or driveway ?
300 tdi , 3 door discovery
200 tdi 110 utility
300 tdi 90
200 tdi 110 csw
Td5 Discovery
Currently 97 Japanese import 300 tdi Discovery.

Dogman

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 06:34:24 PM »
Believe me, although my Defender is mechanically sound it is a 1999 TD5 and through being used in my occupation as a gamekeeper/deer stalker it has many battle scars and whilst it looks like an "up for it" off roader it is not pretty. Usually covered in mud and cow shoit.

I have owned this particular 90 for about four years. No additional security fitted but now has Cat 1 alarm/immobliser.     

Graeme

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 07:19:53 PM »
i am not to enthrauled with the wet lothian plod   there must be demand for landies being exported if they are targetting again    a friend down in england had the bonnet of his ninety/110 stollen of it        also doors get nicked   they short the alarm out and just strip away       recently all vehicles at a sale were carded by buyers

bairnr

• Name: David Russell
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:28:48 PM »
Several years ago some idiots tried to get the alloys of our disco - ended up causing us to have to get a new hub ?350 bill four days before christmas.  If I could have got my hands on them ::)

On another note though Davie worked early shift (3.30 am start) for a while and was followed by the Police into work - when he asked if he could help them they answered that they were aware of high spec cars being stolen in our area and wanted to check ours was okay. Always thought my husband looked shady ;)
2000 discovery td5
1989 LR Defender 90

PGTips

• The Deni Reid Band
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 09:58:26 PM »
See this link re Landy Watch. May be worth posting something on their site....

http://www.slroc.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6498.0
Discovery 2 ES TD5 Automatic (2000)
De-EGR, CDL Fitted, K&N Air Filter
Member of 'The D2 Boys Club'
Landy Watch

Piwi

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 11:18:56 PM »
i am not to enthrauled with the wet lothian plod   there must be demand for landies being exported if they are targetting again    a friend down in england had the bonnet of his ninety/110 stollen of it        also doors get nicked   they short the alarm out and just strip away       recently all vehicles at a sale were carded by buyers

I would suggest perhaps looking at why land rovers get stolen in the first place and what we as owners of these vehicles can do to help deter thieves from stealing them before offloading on other agencies. Land Rover security has always been poor, especially defenders and that's down to the manufacturer so we're off to a bad start. The fact that land rovers are built like giant mechano sets makes it that much easier to strip away at parts. Coupled with the ever increasing popularity of these vehicles,and the poor security is it any wonder that they get targeted . If you have a Landy then you need to make the effort to make  it as difficult as possible for the thieving feckers to take it .  You could argue , why should I ? Well that's entirely your your choice if you do or not . Yet over2000 land rovers are stolen every year in England, to be either exported abroad or stripped for parts and it's only a matter of time before landys are targeted regularly up here . Granted it is happening in Scotland and yes sadly you might never get it back as it's so easy to change the identity of a Landy or make it disappear for parts so let's start by being a little more security aware. As barnr mentioned cops do follow landies especially at night and if you do happen to get pulled it's
only because they are doing their job
300 tdi , 3 door discovery
200 tdi 110 utility
300 tdi 90
200 tdi 110 csw
Td5 Discovery
Currently 97 Japanese import 300 tdi Discovery.

tio

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »
thanks for the heads up Dogman, I think these guys have been targeting west lothian for a couple of years now, i'm pretty sure it's the same guy's like,, traveling thieve's do there homework and blitz an area in one or two nights, i'm pretty sure these guys are local ish,

piper5

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »
thanks for the heads up Dogman, I think these guys have been targeting west lothian for a couple of years now, i'm pretty sure it's the same guy's like,, traveling thieve's do there homework and blitz an area in one or two nights, i'm pretty sure these guys are local ish,

totally agree with the local comment but i reckon theres 2 elements to this , organised gangs stealing fairly new and tidy motors to export or "ring", but much more sinister to most of us is there seems to be a local element of stealing landys or parts of them to order, and these parts appearing on vehicles in local 4x4 clubs some time later.
 its well worth marking some of your more expensive bits both visibly and hidden