can you change the tranfer box in a 110 without taking the box out??

· 4 · 1219

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
wouldnt you know it in all my excitment i forgot about transfer box!!

dont want the hastle of taking box out

is it possible ??

Thanks bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
Re: can you change the tranfer box in a 110 without taking the box out??
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 12:13:49 AM »
Yes, you can change the transfer box without removing the gearbox. I take the pto cover off the back of the transfer box(round cover to the left of the handbrake drum) and lift out the input gear(just slides out) to help lining up the replacement transfer box with the output shaft of the gearbox, makes it easier to fit as you can look through from the back helping you line up the gearbox shaft to enter the transfer box without damaging the oil seal. Slide the input gear back in, give it a turn to line up the gears and it will slide home, refit the cover.

cheers,
           Stevie.

rangerovering

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 12:35:46 AM »
Yes, as Stevie describes and be very very careful of the oil seal getting damaged!
Steve

piper5

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:51:22 PM »
yep i did mine exactly as above after struggling for ages with the transfer gear in place, i also was a bit cheeky i cut a hatch in the tunnel so i didn't even take the floor out to connect the linkages
are you fitting a disco box?
i have a 300tdi r380 and disco transfer box on the 110 but with the big tyres 285.75/16 its a bit sluggish on the hills so i am going back to a defender ratio soon, my motors loaded to the neck with gear though