Export Licenses

· 4 · 1510

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Export Licenses
« on: September 08, 2011, 02:44:35 PM »
I really feel that this should be some sort of April Fools joke but it isn't.

I'm just off the phone with the Department of Industry and Science, Export Controls section. If you are taking any military equipment abroad you need an Export License. Fine, I hear you say, no plans to take a Chieftan tank anywhere - but NO, this also includes the NATO hitch on your otherwise completely civvy landrover ! - I kid you not - its actually mentioned as an example on their website.  

It also covers that 50 year old Series 2A Ambulance you've converted as a camper, your Sankey trailer....and my watch. 

Nuts.  :o :o :o
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:47:26 PM by genem »
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

geoff

Re: Export Licenses
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »
Hi

This exact thing has caused me problems today. We are in the defence market. I need to get an amplifier card to Greece and a control block to spain. The paperwork is holding things up.
If you get the end user to sign an EUU form, you might not need an export licence.

Geoff

3 coops

• RRC HCPU/ Disco 200TDI/Ser2SWB/RiceHorseBox
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 10:07:15 PM »
Some recent changes in counter terror legislation have included the phrase 'Weapons systems and parts thereof', this includes weapons racks fitted to vehicles and ammo boxes, unclear where the line is drawn.

coop
VERY FOND OF WEISSBIER

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:24:49 PM »
If you get the end user to sign an EUU form, you might not need an export licence.

Geoff

Thats one of the really daft things about it Geoff - no end-user, no sale. The regulations as interpreted by the Dept of Industry include folk taking an old military vehicle on holiday as a camper, its not being permanently exported, there is no plan to sell it - the EMLRA site has a bloke hopping mad because he travels over the border from NI to the Republic on a regular basis - and got a response from Govt. that he needs a license for each trip and each license will take 20 working days to process !  The reality appears to be that they are exceeding their powers by applying regulations intended to control arms sales to joe public going about his lawful business. Now for the next really daft bit - None of the Continental countries appy similar regs inside the EU - they can't as they have no internal border controls......which leads on to the case of the German guy who has an Ex MOD Wolf he bought and licenced in Germany but now can't bring back to shows in the UK in case he needs an export license...for a "german" vehicle !   It really is the daftest bit of Govt. nonsense I've seen in a while. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....