torphichen driving day

· 17 · 5673

Dave T

Re: torphichen driving day
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 04:36:34 PM »
Understand that Iain.

Looking from the other side, I think wee experiences like that (and it wasn't intentional believe me!) do remind us of our own personal limitations and can prevent complacency going forwards, I certainly learnt from that.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
Re: torphichen driving day
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 06:23:03 PM »
Oh, I've learnt from mistakes too: I've been on my side; I've busted stuff; and I've scared myself to the "I don't want to go any further" point.

The best way to find "the line" is to cross it once or twice, and get bitten  :D

I'm all for driving days - a really good way to learn to handle the vehicle. Trials (Tyro through to CCV) are even better for learning car control and personal boundries...

What I'm suggesting is that one needs to be careful how one shares those learning experience..... and that is as much about the perceived attitude as well as the actual performance.

To give an example: driving round a field at 40 miles an hour is grand.... if one is at an event organised to host speeding vehicles, the car is suitably prepared, and there is an organisation around to pick up the pieces if it goes wrong. A bunch of shouting and laughing people doing the same thing in some random quarry is more worrisome.....