LPG tank

· 11 · 3336

geoff

LPG tank
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:27:41 PM »
Hi,

My 110 has two LPG tanks, a 200lt inside and a 90lt where the fuel tank would have been.
I'm going to take the 90lt tank out as I don't think it's a great thing to have when there is a chance it could drop onto a rock and get a hole in it.
The filler and supply pipes are connected together using "T" pieces.
The supply lines have their own solenoid on the tank.
The fillers look like they connect straight onto the tank with no means of isolation.
So my question is, is there a valve in the filler on the side of the car to stop the gas coming out. Or, is there a non return valve in the tank.
If it's on the filler, i'll need to empty the tanks before I remove it, making the job a bit trickier.
cheers

Geoff
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:33:43 PM by geoff »

rangerovering

Re: LPG tank
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »
Mine have non return valves on the filler. You should be able to remove the fill pipe and empty pipe with gas still in the tank, there will be a shutoff somewhere on the valve to do this - usually a thumbscrew or lever.

BTW you won't burst an LPG by it dropping, the weakest bits would be the pipes if they get ripped open when the tank falls off. Even then you just need to switch the car off and the tanks are isoted, the solenoids need power to open.
Steve

geoff

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:30:51 PM »
I'm happy with the supply pipes as they are isolated with solenoids.
I'm not sure about the fillers though.
It looks like there is tank pressure up to the filler point on the side of the car.
So, if i pull out in front of a Ferrari, and it go's under my 110. The filler hose running along the chassis gets split, and 230lt of gas is coming out with no way of stopping it ;D

When I said drop onto a rock, i meant with a V8 110 on top of it too. I think there is a chance it could get a puncture.

cheers

Geoff

whistler007

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:56:30 PM »
Tanks are very well made and tested! I've seen a 70mph crash into a tank and it has not ruptured. Leave the tank as is and fit a gaurd to make you feel batter.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 11:37:56 PM »
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

pitcaig

• SLROC Member no.2152
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:30:34 AM »

Just relax....

http://www.break.com/index/tacoma-propane-tank-explosion.html

;D

That explosion was caused by heat creating a BLEVE situation. ;)

Put bleve into google or youtube to find out more :o
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:35:15 AM by pitcaig »

geoff

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 07:16:21 AM »
Hi,

I have fitted a guard using 8mm steel plate.

Geoff

aqms987

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 09:23:54 PM »
 BLEVE: stands for boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion for the benefit of those who might wonder!.

I had a 110 petrol V8 which was converted by me to dual fuel LPG. This was the victim of a rear end shunt on the Jim Clark Rally some years ago. The net result was the petrol tank was trashed but after letting the petrol drain away (& pushing the vehicle clear of the spill) I was able to start the vehicle on LPG & drive off much to the amazement of the offending car driver! Another plus of LPG. The LPG system was not affected at all.

rangerovering

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 10:41:51 PM »
It looks like there is tank pressure up to the filler point on the side of the car.
So, if i pull out in front of a Ferrari, and it go's under my 110. The filler hose running along the chassis gets split, and 230lt of gas is coming out with no way of stopping it ;D

When I said drop onto a rock, i meant with a V8 110 on top of it too. I think there is a chance it could get a puncture.

cheers

Geoff

There is pressure but only what is in the pipe. The manual shut off valve will stop ay gas escaping out the filler, if you don't have a non return valve integral with the multivalve (it should have one though!)

The other thing with LPG is for all it is very flammable, it needs to be fairly concentrated before it will light. Unlike petrol where even a sniff of the vapours will go up with a hot match!
Steve

geoff

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »

cheers

Geoff

There is pressure but only what is in the pipe. The manual shut off valve will stop ay gas escaping out the filler, if you don't have a non return valve integral with the multivalve (it should have one though!)

The other thing with LPG is for all it is very flammable, it needs to be fairly concentrated before it will light. Unlike petrol where even a sniff of the vapours will go up with a hot match!

Where is the manual shut off valve and multi valve

rangerovering

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 06:48:30 PM »

cheers

Geoff

Where is the manual shut off valve and multi valve

On the tank there is only one obvious "bit" of interest, the multivalve. This is where all the pipes and wires go to and it is often a brass colour. On it there will be a valve that can manually be closed to isolate the tank. Sometimes it is a lever that turns 90 or 180 degrees or it can be a knurled screw or knob that you turn.

Post a pic up if you are stuck
Steve