Gearbox stuck in gear...

· 25 · 8043

Scott110

Re: Gearbox stuck in gear...
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 08:09:32 PM »
Wont get a chance to get under the old girl till the weekend. Hoping the other half has worked it out for me and its ready to run when i arrive.  ;D
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

Scott110

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 09:36:36 PM »
Had a look at the old girl. Ok after about half an hour trying to jump the truck out of gear and trying evrything else the girlfriend showed me up and jumped in and got her out of gear pretty muych first time  ::) think i owe her something lol.
We then set about checking whats up and here is what its doing.
Engine off can get all gears and all transfer .
Engine on transfer in nutral can get all gears
engine on transfer engaged can get gears and have to blip throttle to get 3rd too 5th and reverse is very crunchy.
When i recovered it home i had to change gear without the clutch and got from 1st to 5th and back down. Only jammed up in reverse when i stopped.
Any ideas we think its maybe a clutch issue again ????
thanks
Scott

MudBucket

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 09:42:45 AM »
Hi,

Sounds very very much like clutch (or a sticky input shaft to crankshaft spindle)
the input shaft is turning, which turns the leyshaft, which crunches when you try and shift gear.

with the clutch disengaged the resistance of the grearbox should stop the leyshaft and input gear.

suspect that the clutch is just not working.

Scott110

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 07:33:38 PM »
Thank you for the advice much appriciated. Have not had a chnace yet to drop the box but for now atleast i can engage all gears and transfer box functions with engine off so i have high hopes its high bitting clutch has simply gave up the ghost.

Scott110

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 11:44:17 PM »
Wee update on this problem. Finally got round to repairing the old girl. On removal of clutch we found the clutch had sheared all the rivets holding the plates in the centre together which resulted in several of the springs falling out of position and tearing the clutch apart further.clutch was also well worn I mean proper shafted surprised it never slipped befor going bang. Big thanks to my otherhalf Mel aka truckster when I lost the plot and she camly figured out what way the clutch plate went on. She also kindly wire brushed the chassis rails then curerusted them. Also helped mate the gearbox back onto the engine. We discovered much to our delight the gearbox is a landrover direct replacment fitted when the gold seal engine was fitted. Not on the road just yet clutch slave cylinder steel pipe split. Will buy new one get her running then Mel can use her for daily use as means all our landys that are roadworthy are actually used. Ill be sticking to the 300tdi converted 110 and the wee Green petrol 90. So there you go shaffted clutch means stuck gears. 

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 10:50:29 AM »
Well done Scott and to your good lady.

Cant believe that a failed clutch could give all these symptoms, just doesnt make sense, also that the clutch was still driving the gearbox is amazing, we learn something new everyday. well done.

Are you going to give the gearbox an oil change?

Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

Truckster

• Really must fit A/T's..........
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 06:55:16 PM »
Drew,
 The gearbox will be getting refilled with fresh oil, as it had to be drained anyway, as the tool we got a loan of to drop the gearbox with the use of a trolleyjack meant we had to remove the drain plug. Also Scott ended up wearing half of it....as you do!  ::) Needless to say he got the bottle of jiff to scrub the 1st class tideline off the bath afterwards  ::) ::)  and im still picking landrover grime out my nails........ :(  ;D

I once had a cavalier hatchback, and i destroyed the clutch in it by hitting water at 40mph and coming to a standstill pretty rapidly!! ( not intentionally i might add!! ) It was only the next day when i went to move and had no clutch, and once removed it fell apart. The car got my home the night before with no hint of a problem!!!!!  8)
Mel ( & canine navigators )
109 Station Wagon-'The Goddess'- Sick Chassis...gutted!!
109 Station Wagon-'Firefly'-in need of tlc!!!
109 Ex-mil Rolling Chassis
Mk5 Blue Oval ( Goddess in training!!)

Scott110

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 11:52:26 PM »
Thanks drew glad we found the problem in the end . We always thought the clutch fealt a little weak but it never slipped. It was gradually getting harder to get into gear leading up too it failing but still drove well. 130 Clutch fitted for a bit more bite.

Thanks again mel for helping with the truck was a job well done.

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »
oops......  :-[  sorry Mel.

me n ma big feet again.

Glad to hear its properly sorted.

Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

Truckster

• Really must fit A/T's..........
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »
HURRAY!!!!! Green Goddess is back.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Had a 267 mile round trip test run to Falkirk and back to see a car transporter trailer that was a pile of she-ite!!!! ::) Ran a treat.  ;D
Mel ( & canine navigators )
109 Station Wagon-'The Goddess'- Sick Chassis...gutted!!
109 Station Wagon-'Firefly'-in need of tlc!!!
109 Ex-mil Rolling Chassis
Mk5 Blue Oval ( Goddess in training!!)