Sodding poly bushes

· 6 · 1646

bertracoon1616

Sodding poly bushes
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:37:06 PM »
Hey guys.

I have just finished putting a 2 inch lift on the rear of my discovery and i replaced the trailing arms with the adjusted ones and fitted poly bushes.

I need some advice on fitting the bushes though.

I managed to get them into the arms themselves and the metal tubes into the bushes with very little hassle with the aid of a vice and some vaselene.

The problem arose when it came to fitting the arms to the car, the bushes seem to be 2 or 3 mil wider than the trailing arm which was already a failry snug fit to the rear axel.
After several hours of swearing and with the aid of a rubber mallet and some scissor jacks (one on the ground pushing up and forward and one on the trailing arm pushing against the chassis) i managed to get them seated and the arms attached but there must be a simpler way!!

I eventually found that the best method was to squeeze them to buggery in the vice for 10 mins then run and stick them on the car before they could expand again but it was still not an easy task and i did some damage to one of them.

And ive got it all to look forward to again later in the week when i do the front!!

So has anyone got any advice or had a similar problem?

Cheers

Ally
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
Re: Sodding poly bushes
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:49:30 AM »
I had the same problem with mine on the Disco, also I found that the tubes to be a coulpe of mm to long on the rear, all the other bushes fitted a treat.
I bought a replacement bolt kit for the front and rear from Paddocks at about ?7 a set and im bloody glad I did as I had to grind a few off and at that price its a lot easier to rebuild with new bolts.
Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

MudBucket

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:18:01 AM »
cut a couple of mil of the inside face of the polybush with a saw, and file the end of the steel tube til it fits.

this works.

konads

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:05:59 AM »
I held mine squished with a g clamp, then undid the g clamp once the edge of the bush was starting to seat in the mount.

That said, I think I used your g clamp, and I don't think I've given it back yet. My bad...

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »
tell you what - you and konads get the technique perfected then tell me before i fit mine to the defender pre mot !

;D ;D
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

bertracoon1616

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 01:43:02 PM »
Turns out all the others fitted a treat!! WHich was ace cos i really wasnt lookinf forward to fitting the front arms with 2 of the buggers to seat but they slid in no problem!

In hindsight i think the cut them down a bit method would have been the best idea.
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!