4.0lt oil pressure

· 23 · 5009

geoff

4.0lt oil pressure
« on: July 03, 2011, 06:04:01 PM »
Hi,

The oil pressure on my dads 4.0 V8 has gone. The engine knocks ( tappets hopefully)
Any other ideas as to why this has happened.

Geoff

Graeme

Re: 4.0lt oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:13:09 PM »
relief valve stuck open        pick up pipe fell of

geoff

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 06:46:46 PM »
Thanks Graeme,

I'll check these things

Geoff

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 07:52:32 PM »
Blocked strainer, filter element failed and a piece is blocking the system, pump gears worn, pump housing worn, relief valve problem.

It's a starting point anyway!
Steve

geoff

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:43:40 PM »
Blocked strainer, filter element failed and a piece is blocking the system, pump gears worn, pump housing worn, relief valve problem.

You win Steve,
Dropped the sump to find bits of thin black rubber sheet (less than 1mm thick) in the oil pick up strainer.
The sump had newish liquid gasket on it so I suspect it's been off recently.
I'm wondering if there is more to come. But where can it come from. Is there a rubber coated valley gasket??

Geoff

rangerovering

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »

You win Steve,
Dropped the sump to find bits of thin black rubber sheet (less than 1mm thick) in the oil pick up strainer.
The sump had newish liquid gasket on it so I suspect it's been off recently.
I'm wondering if there is more to come. But where can it come from. Is there a rubber coated valley gasket??

Geoff

Wooo what do I win?  ::)

The valley gasket should be a composite type which is one of the early tin ones with black compressable material on each side. It could well have started delaminating and bits washed into the sump. Is there a lot of it in the sump? Worth cleaning it all out and checking the valley gasket if you think it is that. The sump liquid gasket stuff is quite good, clean both surfaces before reapplying new gasket though.
Steve

geoff

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:16:41 PM »
I cleaned the sump out, there wasn't any rubber in there. It was all in the strainer.
I'm not 100% sure it's from the valley gasket, I don't know where else this rubber could come from.

Geoff

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 12:57:13 AM »
Somebody used silicon on the rocker cover seals? or as steve said the valley gasket, I would find the culprit before starting the engine, obviously new oil and filter needed tho.
Keep us informed.
Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

geoff

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 06:58:39 AM »
Hi

It's not sealant. It's actually thin rubber sheet. I've just opened out the biggest pice and it's 2" across the bottom and 1.5" up the sides (triangular)
I've got two other smaller pieces. This engine has had a rebiuld about 40k ago. I'm wondering if it's been left in then. ???
New filter fitted last night, new oil in today after liquid gasked has cured.
Plan to drop sump after ?? miles to check sump.
Glad we found this though, wasn't looking forward to taking the oil pump off.

Geoff

ffourphantomfixer

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »
Is it running ok now? no knocks I hope.
Drew.

geoff

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 04:37:37 PM »
Happened again today. A piece of rubber 2" x 3" removed from oil pick up.
The only place I can think of is the valley gasket. did they do a rubber coated one.

Geoff

ffourphantomfixer

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 04:44:44 PM »
Geoff, i cant help with that, I have stripped and built several SD1 v8's back in the 80's but back then they had pressed steel valley gaskets and things have obviously come on a bit since then.
Just pull the inlet manifold and check, you wont trust it untill you find the culprit.
Drew.

MudBucket

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 05:02:09 PM »
has someone coated the inside of the sump or inside of the block with rubber compound?
and it is now delaminating due to the hot oil?

rangerovering

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 08:07:16 PM »
Strange that it is rubber, didn't think the composite material would be rubbery (nothing to base that on just my own thoughts!). I would pull the inlet manifold gasket as Drew suggests and check it out, the only place a piece of debris that size could get into the sump is down the valley, somehow squeezing past the cam and followers and into the sump.

Its just from the size of it that the manifold gasket seems the only place it could come from assuming no foreign bodies such as rubber coatings like Stephen suggests. Have you had the rockers off it? Can you post pistures of the sump and the bottom of the block looking up?
Steve

geoff

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 08:44:08 PM »
Hi

Found the problem, it's got a rubber coated metal valley gasket.