Replacement Seats

· 15 · 3814

tgreer

Replacement Seats
« on: June 28, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »
I'm looking at getting replacement seats for my series... The issue is the drivers one has to flip forward for access to the fuel filler cap... do I need to get any particular kind of seat?
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

coolcamper55

Re: Replacement Seats
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 05:16:52 PM »
Have you thought about keeping the seat frame and just replacing the upholstery, I did that on my 90 and it was reasonably easy, got them thro Paddocks maybe another option

tgreer

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 05:18:28 PM »
I dont think hay inside a seat is really optimal for comfort...
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

bilko68

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 07:34:47 PM »
Paddocks sell the full set of deluxe seats for the series for ?95,( the backs bolt in to your seat frames and the seat pads sit loose on the frame base so they can remove quickly to gain access to seat storage and fuel tanks.
http://www.paddockspares.com/parts-and-accessories/series-2-and-3/upholstery-and-interiors/front-seats-and-cushions.html
i don"t know if you have the right seat frames.
regards willie

tgreer

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 07:41:54 PM »
It was the deluxe ones i was looking at but I dont think I have the right frames for it.. The current one on drivers side's only fitting is on the bottom :/
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

bilko68

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:11:37 PM »
This what i have as seat bases.

hope it helps
regards willie

tgreer

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »
Yeh thats not what I have... I have the single rail on the bottom, and then the whole seat is hinged to swing forward. I'll get pics at the weekend when I'm up
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

dantheman

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 10:47:17 PM »
ive got defender ones in my 2a and they're far superior to the series ones and the base lifts up,also the back flips forward
land rover daft!!!or just plain daft!!!!!

tgreer

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 10:55:24 PM »
ive got defender ones in my 2a and they're far superior to the series ones and the base lifts up,also the back flips forward

Hi Dan

Are they all in one piece the back and base? Thats how it is in my land rover currently...
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

dantheman

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »
yes the whole seat is an adjustable frame which the base clips into,i still get good access to the underseat toolbox and the top of the petrol tank
land rover daft!!!or just plain daft!!!!!

tgreer

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 12:05:06 AM »
Any chance of a pic of the thing flipped forward? :)

I'll know more about the fittings when I get back to Glasgow this weekend so I'll know what to look for there :)
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 12:44:54 AM »
Thomas, Defender seats don't tip forwards, tho the back can be moved forward of vertical - the base clips in and out so you can get at the locker/fuel tank underneath. Your Mil. 109 will also have had - simpler and less comfy - lift out seat bases to access the fuel tanks, If I remember some actually had forward-aft adjustment ( the luxury !), on others the frame was bolted in place.

Word of warning - One of the events that hastened the removal of the Series LR from MOD service was a particularly horrific incident at the off-road driver training site at Tidworth. Two female Officer Cadets in a 109 FFR failed a hill climb and rolled the vehicle. The fuel tank cap seals were poor, the batteries in between the seats had a piece of loose metal ( spanner ?) floating about..... spark - whoosh.  The two Officer Cadets died in the resulting fireball, their Permanent Staff Instructor who attempted to save them was VSI. If you do have a petrol series vehicle with under-seat fillers please remember that those seals are older than jehosephat and check that they work !
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

tgreer

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 12:47:03 AM »
Thomas, Defender seats don't tip forwards, tho the back can be moved forward of vertical - the base clips in and out so you can get at the locker/fuel tank underneath. Your Mil. 109 will also have had - simpler and less comfy - lift out seat bases to access the fuel tanks, If I remember some actually had forward-aft adjustment ( the luxury !), on others the frame was bolted in place.

Word of warning - One of the events that hastened the removal of the Series LR from MOD service was a particularly horrific incident at the off-road driver training site at Tidworth. Two female Officer Cadets in a 109 FFR failed a hill climb and rolled the vehicle. The fuel tank cap seals were poor, the batteries in between the seats had a piece of loose metal ( spanner ?) floating about..... spark - whoosh.  The two Officer Cadets died in the resulting fireball, their Permanent Staff Instructor who attempted to save them was VSI. If you do have a petrol series vehicle with under-seat fillers please remember that those seals are older than jehosephat and check that they work !

Any idea what my seats are from them... literally one piece seat... tips forward hinge at the front.

Yeh don't worry I'll be renewing lots of seals once it's through the MOT :P and my Battery is in the engine bay :)
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 12:54:50 AM »
Thomas, No idea mate, certainly not anything that Liz paid for.  Must be someones post MOD "good idea" - like the leather Volvo seats in my 90 - now that was a very good idea in comfort terms but it does take me 30 minutes and some vehicular gynacology to reach the battery ! 

G. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

tgreer

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 10:52:36 AM »
Yeh just trying to gather as much info as possible... I'll take some high quality pictures at the weekend when I'm up and doing work on it... see if anyone can help me out. seats need replaced. if they can be replaced with just the regular 2 piece seats then that's fab. Would be easier to just lift off the base instead of having to tip the whole thing forward.
3.0L V6 Ford Essex