Changeable Doors

· 4 · 1346

mudTerrain

Changeable Doors
« on: May 15, 2011, 06:34:55 PM »
Hello,

yet another question, I'm afraid...

Despite the rain, I went and took the doors of a Defender 90 today, with the intention of (eventually) fitting them to my 110 TD5.

Now that I've got them on my workbench, I can see there are some obvious differences:

The doors are the same shape and size for the most part, but the Defender 90 door is obviously thinner than the TD5 door.  I don't think that's a problem, but the one thing I am wondering about is the door-lock mechanism, which is about 3cm lower and 1cm closer to the door-skin on the 90 door than the TD5 door.  Do I need to move the catch on the door-frame (i.e. the vehicle rather than the door) to suit the door or isn't this door going to fit my 110?

Any advice would be very gratefully received,

Thanks,

Paul

Rural rebel

Re: Changeable Doors
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:40:42 PM »
The 90 doors look like they have the 'lift up' handles, like older series 3/2 ones, all you'll need to do, if you can, is get the striker plates from the donor 90, these are the the parts fitted to the bodywork where the door latch slams against. I think that they should fit in the same holes as the newer push button doors currently fitted. I did the same on a 90 as you are, but in the reverse, I put newer doors on an older 110.

Hope this thas helped,

Reb.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »
  The doors are the same shape and size for the most part, but the Defender 90 door is obviously thinner than the TD5 door. 

I think the doors will be the same thickness, it will be the plastic trim thats different ? I used new Td5 doors on my 1996 300 Tdi 90 rebuild and found that all the old innards from the wrecked old doors fitted - but that it needed a new inner panel to mount the bits on. All the old bits bolted straight into the Td5 panel, no problem. The old plastic trim also fitted, with a bit of adjustment - a small triangle needed cut out at the side.

Try hanging the old doors and check. The hinges will be fine, I'd guess that the advice about swapping over the striker will solve most problems at the other side ?
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

mudTerrain

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:32:49 AM »
Hi,

thanks for your help - I should have taken the strikers (so that's what they're called!) off the 90 - another evening with an impact driver in the rain, then...

The doors are definitely different thicknesses, though - in the pictures, all the silver you see in the end-on view of the TD5 door is metal, compared to the 90 door, where the whole door is only about 2" thick and the trim pretty much follows the contour of the outer skin...

All the best,

Paul