Range rover seats in a defender?

· 9 · 2747

banzia

• Name: james
Range rover seats in a defender?
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:34:58 PM »
Hi There,
I have managed to pick up a set of range rover seats and I would like to fit these into the front of my 1995 110 defender...

These seats came out an older range rover, a 1989 I think. They have the electric kit for moving forward and tilt only. They have small control boxes on side of seats...

Has anyone done this before?. any pictures ect...

I am worried about the fact that if fitted I will not be able to gain access to the battery in seat box, also I lose storage under driver seat...

If I remove the electrics ect... will they fit onto my existing runners...

I know I really should have thought this out before I bought them but you know what its like, my loft is bursting with stuff bought and never fitted.
Appreciate any advise you can give me guys...

One other thing, the guy I bought these from has a range rover rolling chassis for sale, no engine but auto box still there,has alloys and a lift kit fitted... if anyones interested his number is.07809428779. He said it was going to scrappy so someone could get it very cheap if they hurry....!!
cheers
james

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:13:21 AM by banzia »
I Need To Stop Eating Biscuits

DRH

Re: Range rover seats in a defender?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »
James

I fitted Disco seats to mine and couldn't get easy access to the battery.  Once I made sure the battery was well secured I put a battery cut off switch on the front of the seat box, and ran a battery cable into the engine compartment to a jump start pole

Duncan

banzia

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:43:05 PM »
Thanks duncan,
I had been thinking of moving battery, not exactly sure where though, but the battery pole idea is really good, very useful for jump starts ect...

I have seen some military landys with side boxes fitted just in front of the rear wheels, I am trying to find out where they get the bits and mabey create a space/locker for battery...  seen them on flea bay but they are not cheap...
j

geoffg

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »
James,
When I bought my 110 from georgew, it had Range Rover seats fitted. Having long legs, I usually mount the seats in a Defender on 2" box section to give me a bit more leg room. Well I did this and I couldnt get my legs under the steering wheel. The runners were out of a Range Rover too. You can't get at the battery and lose the box under the driver's seat. What Duncan did sounds like a good idea.
I've now got a pair of seats and runners from an old 110 which Colin Robertson kindly donated. They look fine with a pair of Makro seat covers fitted!!
I don't really think there's anywhere else to put the battery. I don't suppose it would be too difficult to fabricate a battery box in one of the rear seat boxes with a hinged lid and a seal. Is it a csw or a hard top?
Geoff :)

banzia

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:11:53 AM »
Thanks geof,
At least I know its posible to fit the seats now.. I  can use my own seat runners like you did..

I have the 110 hardtop but have done the back up with carpet and stuff so wouldnt want battery inside..

I am trying to find out more about the side storage  boxes, its quite amazing that there is so little information about this storage solution out there...  I have read of some folks fabricating various setups with heavy duty plastic containers within frames, never actually seen this and wonder what state the opening/door would be..

As I said I did see a side locker for landrover 110 on ebay sometime ago but it looked naff and was very small..

I was at leuchars for the airshow and there was a military 110 there, the guys let me inside and I had a good look around but I should have paid more attention to the side storage boxes... Will do this year, if its on that is...
james

PS I did find these two videos about re- trimming landrover seats really good stuff always wondered how they done it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF9K44rdLTo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKCC1uZssZ0&feature=related
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:43:43 AM by banzia »

georgew

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 10:30:15 AM »
Have you checked out the side lockers in the picture of 'mudTerrains' ex-utilities 110?

you can get a nice side locker door/lock & the seals from a 'scrap caravan' possible,
&
fabricate your battery box/locker
or find an old filling cabinet carcass/security locker type thing to make the internal locker from,
then use the caravan locker door on the exterior..

The scrap yard after some looking & imagination should provide all you require for under ?20 i would have thought,
then just some neat cutting, welding/riveting & painting.
george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

banzia

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »
Cheers george,
No I havnt seen the mud terain truck, Where can I see that?
Never though about the caravan option.. I will get busy on that and also the filing carcase for the box is an excellent suggestion...
james

georgew

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 11:01:31 AM »
Post just a few away,
'New Land Rover-loads of questions :)' mudTerrain.  ;)

have fun.
george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

banzia

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 11:15:10 AM »
Thanks George,
Just seen Mud Terrains truck, looks good. I might contact him to see if he is up for taking some close ups of the door and underside of the locker setup.  These really do look like the best solution for battery one on each side and im sure I could fill one of these boxes up with lots of junk...
james