04 disco TD5 wearing noise on start up

· 5 · 1276

elliecooking1

04 disco TD5 wearing noise on start up
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »
This only appears to happen when the disco is cold and the steering wheel is moved. I presume itis the PAS. It is also getting worse but when everything is warmed up, there is no noises. I have read some forums and it ranges from spigot bearing, PAS pump to clutch bearing!   Please help?

Scott

araon

Re: 04 disco TD5 wearing noise on start up
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 07:29:31 PM »
hi bud,ithink the sound you are hearing is coming from your gear box,its hard to say over the internet but most td5 g/boxes start to suffer from a noise on start up,its not to serious as far as i understand its a bush on the input shaft that is lubricated by splash,when they get a bit older the bush turns in the casing until it expands with heat witch gives that sound,i work at td5s that have done this for years,so providing this is what you are hearing you dont need to panic.

elliecooking1

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 09:51:05 AM »
Hello, many thanks for that. I think you are right. I have also noticed it happens usually on first start in the morning when the clutch is depressed. I have lived with it for a long time now and only hope it is not serious ?????. Many thanks for the reply.

Scott

Rural rebel

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 04:13:23 PM »
We've been living with the same noise for a couple years now, I've been told it's nothing serious and shouldn't become an issue, it's certainly never gotten any worse since I first heard it.

elliecooking1

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »
Many thanks again.