Disco 2 '3 amigos', but only every now and again....

· 9 · 1733

Rural rebel

Disco 2 '3 amigos', but only every now and again....
« on: April 30, 2011, 06:11:32 PM »
Hi all, newbie here, just joined the forum, and have a question already. I'm currently running a 2004 Td5 Disco 2 facelift which had it's mot last week, passed ok with just the one advisory, slight play in both front wheel bearings. Then within maybe 2 days of it's mot the '3 amigos' flash up. I put this down to the bearings  having play in them, and in turn effecting the ABS sensor.
The only odd thing is that they come on only now and again, if they come on, they'll stay on, then if you park up and go for shopping say, come back out, drive off and they've gone off, and will stay off for perhaps for at least a day or two. I know that new sensors will come with the hub kit, (which I'd rather fit myself but not having a torque wrench that goes up to 400Nm looks like it's going to be a garage job), what I am wondering is, when the new sensors are fitted, will I need a Nanocom or similar testbook session to clear the codes?

boghog

Re: Disco 2 '3 amigos', but only every now and again....
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:14:33 PM »
If you are planning on keeping the Disco 2 for a while then you could buy one of these,

http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=55

I am sure if you just need a one-off 'reset' after fixing the problem then one of the club members will oblige. If you live near Stirling then happy to oblige, just PM me.

Calum.

Rural rebel

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:09:51 PM »
Thanks for that Calum, I'm assuming it's the play in the hubs that are giving the sensors the problems, If it's ok with you I'll give you a shout once the hubs are done, Stirling's not a million miles away! Sure we can work out some bbv's for your help,

James

jay2578

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 09:51:31 AM »
The codes should reset theirselves after a number(40?) of problem free starting procedures

GoBeyond

• Name: David Monro
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:49:02 PM »
When I had a discovery 2, had a similar issue. Tried replacing the sensor first, which didn't help!

There wasn't any play in any of the wheel bearings!

Easiest way to confirm the corner, is to get it hooked up.

It maybe that both front bearings have slight play, but a back one causing the error.
There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes!

Rural rebel

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:46:05 PM »
Thanks for the replys, the front bearings are needing done so once I've got a mortgage sorted out to pay for them I'll see what happens.....

Rural rebel

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 03:48:02 PM »
That's the hub ordered, ?200 all in  ::) Think I'll need to get it done at a garage, which is kinda annoying as it's a simple enough job, just don't have a torque wrench that goes up to 490nm :-[ Do have a torque wrench but it tops out at 210nm, which just ain't good enough in this case.

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 11:55:07 AM »
where are you about? , i can help with the torque wrench.
Drew
She said at my age I need something else to play with

Rural rebel

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 04:11:43 PM »
PM sent Andrew.