Chuffed.

· 7 · 1897

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Chuffed.
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:32:45 PM »
Very smug this evening, sorted out some of the electrics in the 90s dashboard. For the first time in 18 months I have a rear wash/wipe, heated screen and a working 12v socket. I must admit after the dramas I had with the electrics during the rebuild I was putting off doing this part of the car....I had enough problems with the original burnt out wiring, shorting lights etc.

Anyway, decided to tackle it this evening. The 12v socket was no drama, just replaced the broken one with a "marine" one from Maplin. The rear wiper was a bigger problem. For a start the wiring had burnt out in the original switch and then melted almost as far as the ignition switch. This wiring was replaced during the rebuild and just left in a big taped up bundle... The second issue was the wiper motor. Again the original was goosed and I had a replacement - but from a Disco ( thanks Duncan). The unit is almost the same but the plastic cover over the spindle that goes through the door is different. The door itself also had no hole for a wiper, although the frame has the cutouts and captive nut to secure the motor....so. Partially dismantle the motor to swap the plastic bits over. OK-ish. The threads on the original plastic spindle cover are not that great. Very tentatively drill a hole in the door and enlarge with a file....lots of checking the fit. Amazingly it seems to have all worked. New connectors on the wiring at the switch end, 10 minutes reading the wiring diagram to work out what goes where...and it all works - Except that the wiper had obviously stopped in the wrong place because the first "sweep" was just wiping mud off the door ! Easy enough to move the arm by 90 degrees.

Next step -an interior light....
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

coolcamper55

Re: Chuffed.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 06:06:16 AM »
When will you be doing the heated front seats and the Air Con ;) ;)

T

DRH

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:52:17 AM »
Heated front seats could well be an option - it's fitted with Leather Volvo seats already wired

This really is a tidy motor given its recent battles

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:50:37 PM »
have you started to rebuild/recon the motor yet?
Drew.
She said at my age I need something else to play with

genem

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 09:15:14 PM »
have you started to rebuild/recon the motor yet?
Drew.

Not had much time. I was wondering if we'd get a few hours this weekend to make a start.

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 09:03:23 AM »
Yeh me 2 then looked out the window this morning and my 100% reliable weather stone is wet so that sujests its raining...... bummer
She said at my age I need something else to play with

genem

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 10:30:56 PM »
Nagging from the Drew the Crab has worked.... started stripping down the engine on the 2a. My guess is that it had been worked on and was then abandoned, because it all came apart pretty easy and the head gasket was not stuck down, just lifted straight off. The valve gear is in great condition, nice and oily. The interior of the airways less-so - lots of grot. The bigger problem remains - the pistons are stuck in the bores. Gave it a squirt of WD40 and a tentative smack with a bit of wood and a lump-hammer but no joy. Looks like being left standing for 20 years means it will take a bit more work  :(  Plan now is to leave it soak for a bit and try again in a day or two.