High fuel costs - perhaps the real answer!

· 9 · 2340

Dave T

High fuel costs - perhaps the real answer!
« on: March 29, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »
Has anyone tried this company in Glasgow - just in the east end, no modifications required and only ?1.09 a litre.

http://www.applefuels.co.uk/

1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

rangerovering

Re: High fuel costs - perhaps the real answer!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 05:37:27 PM »
Would certainly be much better priced!

Interesting they seem to be happy fuelling any car with it. Must be an extra refining stage to help newer engines.
Steve

Tim

• Carbon has a footprint but it has no feet.........
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:04:18 PM »
It might be OK for a Tdi engine but LR  advises against running your modern TDCi or TDv6/8 on any more than 5% Biodiesel IIRC
Quote: We only advise that drivers of vehicles still under manufactures warranties fill their tanks with Biodiesel at their own risk, as it may affect your warranty.unquote
I wonder what damage it would do to even a TDi engine to run for a long period on this stuff?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:08:34 PM by Tim »
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior
Gone - Fuji White RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux Plus
Staying - 1996 Epsom Green TDi 300 CHT that is now a CSW

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 10:29:48 PM »
It might be OK for a Tdi engine but LR  advises against running your modern TDCi or TDv6/8 on any more than 5% Biodiesel IIRC
Quote: We only advise that drivers of vehicles still under manufactures warranties fill their tanks with Biodiesel at their own risk, as it may affect your warranty.unquote
I wonder what damage it would do to even a TDi engine to run for a long period on this stuff?

Yes all they are doing is covering themselves in the case of a warranty claim. The point is they leave it up to you to go and check what %bio the manufacturer is happy with you running.

What happens if you do run on bio in these engines? I cant remember what the VAG, Merc and beemer engines are like on it.
Steve

Tim

• Carbon has a footprint but it has no feet.........
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 11:17:39 AM »
IIRC some of the additives in biodiesel dissolve the seals in the fuel line - same effect as misfuelling a modern Land Rover diesel
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior
Gone - Fuji White RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux Plus
Staying - 1996 Epsom Green TDi 300 CHT that is now a CSW

Scott110

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 04:57:49 PM »
Sod rotten old garden waste and cow poo for fuel im gona go down the old engine oil mix in my 300tdi. loads folk already use it with no issues. If you do a search on google there a great thread done by a guy on one of the other forums. Got a huge response as he really done his homework. I can not belive this is possible but it is and old oil aint as bad as you might think if you have a good old read. vegoil to expensive these days as its in demand. Old oil well go have a chat with your freindly local garage see what they have to say on the subject.
Me thinking run the breather pipe straight into me tank  ;D kiddin but im gona give it a go. Get the stuff required to filter it correctly.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

georgew

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
Scott,
perfectly OK with HRMC for private individuals to use the 2500 litres of used Cooking Oil/Bio,
(not rebated fuels or used fossil fuel)
even new purchased Veg oil,(tho this is a very gray area,) for 'personal use' without paying duty.
(thats not commercial/business use,Taxi's, Busses,works vans etc, even company cars.)
www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Rules_and_Regulations

Maybe your vehicle is just insured as Social, domestic & pleasure & not business use.
Keep your personal log of fuel useage & things go quite easily.

However if you are carrying your tools of the trade in the vehicle when pulled into a roadside VOSA/DVLA/HMRC
then there can be problems for you.

Being dipping for Red will not be a problem, (running a mixture of waste/burst oil/ATF etc will get tests done on the mix)
they will question you on Running Bio
& if you are self employed.
They will ask to see your reciepts for where you buy your regular duty paid fuel,
ask to see your accounts,tax returns etc etc.

Sadly thats an offence that can loose you the vehicle & its contents.
Its a big risk to take.
george
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:32:33 PM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

Scott110

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:44:16 PM »
Some very good advice there thanks.
My vehicles have changed for work and pleasure these days.
The 110 is due for a new chassis when its MOT ends at the end of the year plan was just to try this Oil mix ive been reading and its now insured only for social and domestic. My main work truck is now my wee petrol 90 and its insured for buissness use only and im not willing to change it to LPG no real advantage these days and it runs best on good old rocket juice.

Im going to have a good old read of the thread i mentioned again im sure the chap stated he was dipped or maybe someone that replied was and Vosa legally could not do anyhting as the revenue or tax or something was already paid on the old oil and it was not refined in anyway only filtered to make sure its thin enough to pass the fuel filters safly. Ill try find it and Pm you a copy. he is either right or risking it evryday lol. Ill not risk my vehicles or my living so just at the looking into it all stage.

Anything really to lower my fuel costs mainly for work. I did use transit vans but their not much better than the landys MPG wise and they just rot away.

Thanks again have saved the biofuels website for future refrence.

1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

georgew

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 08:45:57 AM »
You will get all the reading you will probably need in
the 'Alternative fuel' section on the 'Difflock' forum.
http://www.forum.difflock.com

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk