galvanising original parts

· 32 · 7892

Fishdoctor

galvanising original parts
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:54:41 PM »
Has anybody ever tried to galvanise its original chassis? I'm restoring my 110 and the chassis is in really good nick. As I will be stripping it down any way it looks like a good idea to galvanise it, but i don't have a clue how much that will cost? Does anybody have an idea how much it will cost and where to do it. Same story for the bulkhead but that should be far less expensive.

cheers

Matt

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
Re: galvanising original parts
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 01:28:27 PM »
These are the nearest guys to me:

Scottish Galvinisers
Maclellan St
Glasgow G41 1RR
0141 427 3041

Cost I don't know, I've not yet made a trip. :-\
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

rangerovering

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 02:04:45 PM »
I got a quote from a firm in Glasgow, think it will be the same guys as listed above for a SWB series. From memory it was about ?400 which included getting it dipped I think.
Steve

Fishdoctor

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 02:40:31 PM »
Thanks

I will give them a call

georgew

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »
See what you are quoted,
but i would seriously consider paying the ?900 or so extra & getting a nice new one,
especially when going to the effort & expense of the new fastners, fitments,loom, bushes etc..
www.richardschassis.co.uk

If the chassis you have is that good, (you only know how good when you see inside the chassis)
do the same preperation you will need before transporting your chassis for galvanising,
emptying of the internal rust & sand blast the outside.

If you do this work on the original chassis & then give it some protection,
you may possibly get good money selling it,
 to offset the price of the new chassis.

Or save on the galvanising,
do the preperation, just Waxoyl it internally
& get a quality external coating on the exterior & rebuild using this.

george
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:22:47 PM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »
I got a quote from a national firm with a plant around montrose in jan this year as i was bidding on a very old unused series chassis, i didnt win but i found out the following.

The chassis has to be cleaned of all paint, surface rust is no problem as its sorted during the pre galvy dip, i was offered 3 levels of galvy protection 25 yrs, 35 yrs or 45 yrs.

They charge by weight and for the 88 on the 25 year option i was quoted no more than ?140 and it would take a couple of days

you would have to get it to them tho.

contact details as follows.  (bob was very easy to talk to and very helpfull)

Bob Walsh
Tayside Galvanisers
01307 460222
She said at my age I need something else to play with

georgew

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 05:44:24 PM »
www.forfargalvanisers.co.uk

01307 460222

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

Dave T

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 06:19:59 PM »
On "a 4x4 is born" Mark Evans got his chassis galvanised at a cost of ?600, that was a modifyed 88" I think.

As for your own chassis, when a hole in mine was being patched it let me see the amount of crud inside it, about half an inch of damp stell munching crud.

I think I would pay a few quid more personally, you may even get something back for your old one on E bay, some do go on there, just set the right reserve.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 06:27:45 PM »
I'm going to have to agree with George and others here, given the cost difference I'd go for a new galv chassis rather than risk all that work and then find that actually the inside of the chassis was a disaster...

Any problems with taking a re-chassis'd ( is that a word ?)  vehicle home Matt ? I know there are age restrictions on imports ?
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Scott110

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 06:54:09 PM »
Got my original 90 chassis done by Scottish galvinisers. They do know what their doing and give the exact advice you need to hear. They wont do work on any old chassis a process of which im not sure exactly means they can tell the diffrence between a rotten pile of turd and a sound chassis. Brand new chassis also have rust to a certain extent internally as they sit around in warehouses for months if not years. Most the cheap galvi chassis on ebay have had this process done and if they say otherwise their plain and simply lying. If its sound go for it m8 ull save a fortune and they pickup and deliver.
I paid ?270 inc pickup and delivery and shotblasting and pre dipping then galvinising. Remember galvinising penetrates inside the chassis walls the reason they have to drill the chassis to allow it to flow correctly. Only diffrence once done your chassis comes back weighing even more as all that lovely molten galvi metal has been added to your chassis. We talking alot of heat aswell here but you will not be dissapointed and if your cahssis no good they will call you and send it back refusing to do the job. They know alot more than any of us after all its their trade.

You wana come see my chassis no worrys ive seen the highend ones and if i can do it this way why the hell pay way over a grand?.

1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

aqms987

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 01:38:10 PM »
Hi
 I have not had personal experience of having a 2nd hand bulkhead galvanised but reading the various "comics" ie magazines, there is considerable concern over the bulkheads distorting due to the heat involved in the process. So approach that with caution1

Regards

dantheman

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 07:56:04 PM »
Ive got an 88 chassis sitting in my workshop,waiting to be blasted then im taking it up to forfar,ive drilled a good few extra holes in it too,  im  just waiting till ive got spare cash
land rover daft!!!or just plain daft!!!!!

rangerovering

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »
Ive got an 88 chassis sitting in my workshop,waiting to be blasted then im taking it up to forfar,ive drilled a good few extra holes in it too,  im  just waiting till ive got spare cash

Let me know how you get on with that. Could be tempted to do the same!

How do you stop too much galve going in the bit for the steering relay? Is it not already a tight fit without adding more metal to it?
Steve

mark ross

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 08:19:16 PM »
you would clean it out with a drill the right size as the bolts after it has been diped  :)

rangerovering

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 10:08:11 PM »
you would clean it out with a drill the right size as the bolts after it has been diped  :)
[/quote

Yes but what about the big feck off hole in the front crossmember? It's tapered as well so even with a mahoosive drill bit it no worky ???
Steve