Body lift V Suspension lift

· 7 · 1752

jeepster

Body lift V Suspension lift
« on: February 21, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »
As title says, I am looking to lift my RRC about 2", I dont do any off roading at the moment but hope to do so soon & which would only be moderate anyway (until i get the hang of it ). What would be the best way to achieve a lift ? Iv'e seen adverts for body lift kits & suspension lift kits, but i,m confused as what to go for, what are the pro's & con's of each lift or do you need to do both  :-\ ? Any guidance would be much appreciated. The main reason for asking is i have the chance to purchase 6 x tyres sized @ 265 x 70 x 16 at a stupidly cheap price. ;D
2008 Audi S3 *sold*
2001 Saab HOT Aero convertible
1992 Range Rover Classic *sold*
1985 BMW e28 520i
2011 Audi A4 Avant S-line Black Edition

geoffg

Re: Body lift V Suspension lift
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:35:45 PM »
I'm assuming that by body lift kit, you mean lifting the body up from the chassis, and suspension lift you mean lifting the chassis up from the axles. I would go for the latter, as lifting just the body doesn't achieve much for a lot of work.
As I said in another post,(somewhere), I changed the suspension of my last two RRC's by fitting +2" Procomps all round and fitting Red/White stripe springs to the rear and Green stripe springs to the front. This achieves a lift of about 1.5", but with much more sturdy suspension, ie it doesn't wallow about like RRC's tend to.
I got all the bits from DLS. (not the sofa firm ::) )
By the way, both were RRC 3.5 V8's. We did try red/white stripe springs all round, but it lifted the front too much and gave it the look of a speedboat!!
Geoff :)

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:26:22 PM »
Tony,

Why not try a bit of off-raoding first then decide what your vehicle needs. Its pretty capable off-road as it is if its got decent tyres.

Gene.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

geoffg

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 02:17:38 PM »
I'd agree with Gene. Stiffening the suspension does also lose some of the axle articulation that RRC's are famed for. Before I modded my first one, the axles used to hit the bump stops resulting eventually in all four engine/gearbox mounts splitting. Unfortunately it happened at Coulport one sunny Sunday afternoon.

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 02:19:53 PM »
Tony,

Why not try a bit of off-raoding first then decide what your vehicle needs. Its pretty capable off-road as it is if its got decent tyres.

Gene.

He makes a good point, the only real need to start lifting the car is to get bigger tyres under. Get a decent set or standard size muds on and see how you get on.
Steve

geoffg

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:59:31 PM »
Regarding tyres, I've always used 205/16 Diamond Backs on RRC's, except once I had 750/16 XCL's which were good in mud but terrible on wet grass!!

jeepster

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 09:39:45 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guy's, would 265 x 70 x16 fit without lifting ? Just bought 6 tyres from a mate at a price i couldn't turn down, or am going have to sell these for a more standard size, ie, whats on now is a set (goosed) 235 x 70 x 16 ? Thanks.
2008 Audi S3 *sold*
2001 Saab HOT Aero convertible
1992 Range Rover Classic *sold*
1985 BMW e28 520i
2011 Audi A4 Avant S-line Black Edition