Leccy issues, anyone comprhende?

· 5 · 1593

rangerovering

Leccy issues, anyone comprhende?
« on: February 19, 2011, 04:04:43 PM »
Hi

Posted this here because it is more electrical than LPG related.

So, in essence on my twin tanks only 1 of the solenoid valves are opening.
Check the solenoid and plunger direct to 12V, it retracts fine. Check it on the working tank power feed, retracts fine. When plugged into the "non working" power feed, nothing happens.

So, methinks we don't have power. Multi meter out, "working" side shows 11.58V when ignition is on, great. "Non working" side ALSO shows 11.58V when ignition is on :shock: WTF?

Double checked the solenoids again (I have a spare one to eliminate the existing one as faulty), both check out fine.

Can anyone make head or tail of that?

cheers
Steve

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
Re: Leccy issues, anyone comprhende?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 06:41:50 PM »
These are open circuit voltages.  What happens to the voltage on the "non working" supply when it is supposed to be working and connected to the valve?
Navigator          GM1VBE

CLUNYKNOX

• Highland 4x4 Response
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:50:49 PM »
Hi possible the solenoid is not working just swap the coil over then you know it is the coil I had to some thing similar on mine at the vapouriser
Andrew
Andrew HI01
Highland 4x4 Response

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »
Hi

Got it sorted in the end. Was advised to check the earth and if that didn't work, wire it in parallel with the working side. As I was doing it, I had cut out the length of wire from the non working side and then found a break in the supposedly live feed wire. No idea how I could get 10.58V on one lead and continuity with earth on the other but it was. Cleaned up the break, resoldered it back together and everything is working perfectly!

Ruddy electrics ;)

cheers
Steve

MudBucket

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
i've had similar problems with bulbs,
the voltage reported is fine about 10 to 12 v but as soon as you connect to a bulb you get no light.

the resistance of the connection(or wire) is too high as soon as anything is connected the voltage is there but the current is limited. just like putting a resistor is series with a light, the light will dim. (or solenoids will not work)

trouble is, where along the wire and connectors do you look for the bad connection.

this is also the reason td5 engine looms fail. The engine oil gets between the connectors and increases the resistance, so no working injectors etc until the connections are cleaned.

ho hum.