two inch lift

· 7 · 1829

wallace

two inch lift
« on: February 17, 2011, 01:19:38 PM »
bought a 300tdi 1997 disco few month back with 2" lift, last month had squeak noise when driving, found it eventually to be frony prop uj knackered. so after a few searches on 2" lift issues, there seems to be a few diffrent ideas on what to change or upgrade. can anyone confirm what should be done or not and all agree or is it pick try and learn the hard and costlt way.

1. cranked rear trailing arms, change, leave, get with rose joints, get rock slide type, causes more probs.

2. castor corrected radius arms.leave,get. diffrent sizes degree wise, which one. or off set bush kit or corrected swivel balls.

3. adjustable panhard rod needed?

4. props. wide angled sizes? extended grease nipples, or kardon shafts-double cardon? cv props.which ones or leave.

??? ??? ???

rangerovering

Re: two inch lift
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
Hi

With a 2in lift you should really have castor correction bushes to do it properly. Don't think you will need cranked trailing arms as such, but they would be a beneficial future upgrade.
Double cardon props are fitted to the D2 from memory, quite common to fit them to prevent the binding that you get at full articulation.
Steve

wallace

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 08:42:20 AM »
thanks for reply do these double cardon shafts fit straight onto 300tdi or is there some mods required

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 11:35:41 AM »
They should be an easy fit, its the same basic diff and transfer box and the chassis are the same wheelbase.
Steve

webby

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 07:31:44 AM »
i know every one of these is different, but shortly after fitting my 2"lift i had my uj go, i had the same thoughts as you, where to go next, but i just got the repair kit from paddocks and fixed the one i have and its been fine since, and that was 5 years ago. and its done some pretty heavy off road work and been our daily driver since too. sometimes these seem to be ok with a lift while others need the extra work done, but if it was me i would spend the couple of pounds and try the repair first, nothing to lose, but a fair bit to save!! :)
could you pass the spanner....... the other one, oh the hammer too....... ok the grinder please......

jeepster

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 05:06:48 PM »
Slightly off tangent, but, what's the pro's / con's of a body lift over a suspension lift, what would need to be done for a body lift, easy / hard ? :-\
2008 Audi S3 *sold*
2001 Saab HOT Aero convertible
1992 Range Rover Classic *sold*
1985 BMW e28 520i
2011 Audi A4 Avant S-line Black Edition

scotscim

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 06:01:54 PM »
Hi
Callum and I  fitted a 2 inch lift lit on my 90 on Friday,  springs and  shocks  and +4 inch brake flexi pipes , tried it without the castor correction bushes, with only a slight differnce in the handling. Fitted the castor correction bush kit  along with the other bushes  and a couple of rear cranked arms on Sat  and did the A frame this afternoon. Feels a good bit tighter in the corners and more precise in the general road holding. Also fitted  -2 inch front towers and -2 inch shock drop  kit on the back all with dislocation cones.
What i did notice when fitting the castor bushes was the spring and the axel did come back into line and the whole set up looked like it was in less "stress".
The bushes are a bit fiddly to fit,  I think if i was going to do it again i would fit cranked arms on the front.
Now to fit the 35s and try it offroad
The prop joints were done a month ago.
Cheers
Greig
Greig

1996 Defender 110 300tdi station wagon

1953 series 1 80 inch