SCAM online for sale of landrovers

· 10 · 2214

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
SCAM online for sale of landrovers
« on: February 17, 2011, 01:03:36 PM »
WATCH OUT
Fraudulant advertisement of landrover for sales on gumtree,
fraudulant delivery company using name of Federal express (FedEx) with secure delivery,
they suposedly hold cash untill vehicle delivered and examined then pass money to seller. PAy with UKASH only.
once cash payed advert and delivery company and seller vanishes.
All looks very official even has FedEx vehicle logo on emails. invoice no's, reciept no's and contact person all provied at every stage of correspondance. :'( 

DRH

Re: SCAM online for sale of landrovers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »
If this is an ex military 110 on Edinburgh Gumtree I looked at that at the weekend and asked for more details.  I was emailed back and asked if I would accept delivery as it has been put in the hands of fedex to hold and deliver as the "owner" was out of town.  When I kept pushing to see it before I decided whether or not I wanted to put in an offer, I didn't get any more e-mails.  Very strange

Duncan

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
thats almost word for word what happened to me!!
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

coolcamper55

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »
Did anyone report this to Gumtree, they are an ebay company and usually quite good at sorting out scams

110landyman

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 03:44:19 PM »
yep the same happend to me when i pushed them about it, i knew right away with the first/2nd email that it looked dodgey , i would never part with any money before i see a vehicle, some of these things might be legit but there are far to many dodgey scum bags about these days doing this kind of thing  ,better safe than sorry,  i reported it on gumtree,,,scamming wee buggers.

paul

Scott110

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 05:50:26 PM »
lol lol i said ill buy it at your house ... then i said are you dodgy and selling stolen landrovers or trying to scam people got no reply. I was set to buy it break it and sell it to you lot  ;D.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

DRH

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 06:30:11 PM »
Its not there now but from er thinking that the title was strange and went along the lines 1984 110 ...... ,,,, and ended "BFG Snorkel" before going into the description of a typical landrover

I wonder if thats what would have been delivered - a snorkel for ?490

There's always one

piper5

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 07:04:03 PM »
this has been in the news in fife several people have been robbed of their money

jumplead

• MM3JZB. . MSA SCRUTINEER, lowbox 21
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 08:26:05 PM »
I heard they are at it on piston heads as well v5 id helps

neils

• Name: Neil Scott
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »
Here's what i got back after enquiring about LR on Gumtree, I had seen vehicle for sale at a dealership website for about ?13K, they had just lifted photos and description and put it on Gumtree. I contacted dealer and let them know, they contacted Gumtree and it vanished from site within minutes, I still followed up email to see what they would come up with next.

"Thanks for taking a part of your time and visiting my ad Land Rover Defender 90 Tomb Raider County Station Wagon.
I sell it at this price (GBP 3,800) due to a change in circumstances of health I have had sciatica for 6 months and it impossible for me to drive it.I am also financially strapped due to medical bills, and in rapid need of this sale.This vehicle is in excellent working conditions, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions and comes with a clear title.The vehicle has 73,000 miles.This vehicle may be purchased with money back guarantee.In summary you are permitted to buy and drive this vehicle for 5 days or 500 miles. If you don?t want the vehicle, you can return it to me for a full money refund!From the begining you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay, I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services.
It is simple and is great for both parties so that any lack of trust is eliminated.I will wait your answer(if you are interested to buy) very soon.

Have a better than expected day!"

and follow up after I asked for more info

"Hi again,
The car is already at the shipping company in Rome,Italy sealed and ready for the shipping.
The transaction will be fully under eBay's surveillance, giving us both security and insurance that nothing will go wrong. They will be the 3rd, objective party involved in the transaction. This way you will actually pay for the car after you will receive and test it, because eBay will hold the funds in an escrow account and release it to me only after you accept and confirm the delivery. After the car reaches your address you will have 5 days to test it. Within this period you have to decide if you purchase it or not. If you decide to take it you will have to contact eBay and let them know that, so they can release the payment to me. If you won't like it you will have to ship it back to me within the 5 days and eBay will refund you. The shipping back will be done on my own expense, but I am sure this will not be the case.

If you decide to buy the car ,please include the following information in your next email.

1. Ship to name and address ( the complete name and address of the person receiving the car ).
2. Motor vehicle registration name and address needed for title transfer, this would be your complete name and physical address (or if the car is to be registered on someone else's name the name and address of the registrant is needed).

Please get back to me at your earliest convenience."

Aye, that'll be shinin' bright!
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project
62 Willys Wagon (project)  shh keep this quiet!