green laining

· 7 · 2080

jjc0424

green laining
« on: February 14, 2011, 01:00:13 PM »
Hi as above , has anyone ever done this ? Looks very interesting and very enjoyable
Was wondering were are the site ( good ones )
What kind of set up your landy would need ?
What kind of things you have to take with you ?
What sort if costs are involved aswel?

Any information would be great

Thanks Jamie

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: green laining
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »
Hi as above , has anyone ever done this ? Thanks Jamie

Jamie, I'm going to chuck a bucket of cold water over this... Sadly "Green Laning" in the sense our comrades in Englandshire mean is almost impossible in Scotland as there are very few legal off-road routes and going off-road without permission on private land is distinctly frowed upon - and illegal. The club does organise "Green Road Runs" but these tend to be on large estates or forestry ground with the landowners permission and usually the tracks are good quality. I don't think Sandy the organiser would disagree if I said they are more like scenic drives - tho there have been a few moments ! Other options are the clubs "Driving Days" where a circuit is laid on on some very large areas of ground - 1500 acres + . For fun competitive events then start with "Tyro" ( next one, Callander on the 27th) which is a good intro to off-road driving, building up through Road Taxed Vehicle ( RTV) trials and on up the difficulty stages. Both Tyro and RTV can basically be done with your daily driver, provided you don't mind a bit of mud - check the rules for details. Another option that might appeal to you is the various pay & play sites - see the threads on Drumclog etc under Non SLROC Events, you'll often get groups of members and mates agreeing to meet up for a day.

In terms of preperation all Landrovers are pretty capable in their own right. Decent AT or MT pattern tyres will take you a long way. How much you want to spend on tricking out your vehicle after that is up to you....but you can spend a fortune and still get stuck, then get passed by some old codger in a 50 year old basic series 2a.  ;)

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 03:20:05 PM »
Gene, I take it when you said "then get passed by some old codger in a 50 year old basic series 2a." you meant me  :D  the words OLD CODGER and BASIC SERIES had my bells ringin  ;D
She said at my age I need something else to play with

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 04:55:37 PM »
Hi Jamie

Try the greenroad run - scenic gentle day out
The driving days I think are maybe more up your street 3rd April is the next event.

Take it easynad your machine will be fine.
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

jjc0424

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »
hi,
    yeah have done a grr last year and should be doing this one on sunday aswel,
was only looking for some info on the green laning because i fancy trying it with a couple of other veichles a short holiday/ long weekend so something along those lines , so wouldn't mind so much if had to travel down south

jamie

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:41:09 PM »
Winches & diff-lockers just mean you get stuck even further from where you should be ;-)

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:27:40 AM »
Jamie,

Above stuff is good advice!

Kind regards,

Sandy.