On Board Diagnostics

· 11 · 2273

gm1mqe

On Board Diagnostics
« on: January 21, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
I have been playing about with the ELM327 interface to the EMU. When I run the software it gives me a list of what data it has available. It includes fuel consumption and turbo boost pressure as well as a load of other things. When I try to display these it is always zero. I understood from the software manual that if a value is displayed that data is available but I just get zero displayed. There a bunch more do the same thing. Out of the twenty or so values shown to be available only about half seem to give actual data. Anyone any idea on this? I have tried to decode the data stream manually without any success.

Thanks, Andy

coolcamper55

Re: On Board Diagnostics
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 04:51:49 PM »
Andy,

What S/W package are you using, it might help finding an answer

Tommy

boghog

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:23:44 PM »
Don't know what Land Rover you have but if it is a Disco 2 then you are onto plums with this diagnostic tool. Many of the 'universal' code readers which list Land Rover will not actually be of any use as Land Rover made the interface compliant but not standard (something to do with the way the plug is wired). When pressed to answer my specific question on Disco 2, most of the 'universal' sellers admitted it wasn't suitable. From my trawling of the internet, Nanocom or Hawkeye seem to be the most common tools without spending mega bucks.  :-\

coolcamper55

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »
Its a 57 110 TDci 2.4 also known as a Puma me thinks

tgreer

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:56:49 PM »
If it's what Tommy says it is then it WILL work with OBD2 software and hardware. Its a legal requirement for them to be compliant.

If you're having an issue give me a shout.

Thomas
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

gm1mqe

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:50:39 PM »
Yes - it is a 57 plate 110 with the Ford engine. Looking at the description for the ELM527 chip it is able to ask the EMU what codes it supports. It says it has Turbo Boost for example but the value is always zero. I have tried several OBD packages and the problem is on all of them (OBD-4.2, Proscan, scanmaster, digimoto Lite and so on). I have also captured the raw data as it comes in and I am getting even more confused as the data does not seem to match what I think I should get! It is not a problem as such - the ELM527 resets engine warning light and display any error codes without any problem - I was just interested in being able to collect and analyse data it sends. If anyone wants to collect the data look for a package called XPORT - search for "XPORT SERIAL" and that package allows you to capture the data. ?20 for the unit was great buy.

Cheers, Andy

tgreer

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 08:17:47 PM »
Where are you based? I'll be at the next Tyro event if you're there I can take a look.

Also I hope you mean ELM 327 :P

Thomas
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:48:55 AM by tgreer »
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

gm1mqe

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 05:20:47 PM »
Wont be there I am afraid. It is not a problem as such - I was just trying to work out what data it can give. I will probably write my own software at some point.

Cheers, Andy

tgreer

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »
Should be able to get that sort of information no problem. Do you have a smartphone? There are apps for iPhone and Android (I use android) which get readings, clear error codes, do graphs, etc
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

gm1mqe

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 01:31:09 PM »
I have tracked down a nice package that comes with source. You can download Microsoft visual C express free from the microsoft site and compile the package. If anyone wants a copy drop me an Email to GM1MQE@AOL.COM

Cheers, Andy

gm1mqe

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 03:23:52 PM »
I will be at the club AGM this Saturday and I will bring along a bunch of CD's with the various OBD packages I have collected so if you want a copy see me there.

Cheers, Andy