My 19j Td engine is sick need your advice.

· 13 · 4083

Scott110

My 19j Td engine is sick need your advice.
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:19:59 PM »
I got the 110 back from the garage i had to send it in as i could not figure out how a fuel sender mounts on the fuel tank and new fuel lift pump etc and just for them to get it fired up for me. They managed that and did not charge hardly anyhting to be honest im due them a few beers for sure.

Anyways they did notice a problem the stop solanoid was not stopping the engine even though befor this is started and stopped fine. They removed the solanoid plunger and said just stall it to stop. Thats what i been doing. I have a spare 19j and know its solanoid was like new nothing still wont stop. Testing the solinoid with igntion on tapping spade no popping of the plunger from either solanid.

Running wise once started its fine runs failry smooth few revs then settles not sure if this still air in the fuel system. Sometimes however if under hard acceleration and i change gear the revs dont drop on the clutch like normal. Then settles.

Generally the engine runs very well befor it froze over crimbo etc. Its slowly been loosing power for about 6 months now. Fuel econemy is slightly down. Does use about 5ltrs of fuel over 4 months. No overrun smoke only some on cold start.

Only want basic checks advice if any major money involved gota consider the extra cost of the 200tdi transplant befor i sort an old engine.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: My 19j Td engine is sick need your advice.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »
First step will be to get a volt meter on the stop solenoid wire I'd guess. I had a problem with the cut-off on my Td, turned out to be a fault in the ignition switch - basically it was burnt out inside.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:33:47 PM »
Scott

Regards the stop solanoid i had a similar problem ended up fitting a relay as i found there was a tiny amount of voltage feeding back through system when igmition switched off try taking the wire off the soleanoid to stop it instead of using ignition if it stops then you have the same prob.

Hope this helps
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:51:36 PM »
As above 2 posts about the solenoid. Need to narrow it down to the solenoid of an electrical problem.

As to the running problems, I would look at checking the injection pump timing is spot on and that injectors are healthy.
Steve

allen

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I had the same problem it was injector pump  >:(

Scott110

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:25:08 PM »
 ;D
She started fine this morning after a good frost. Charged the battery full yesterday just incase.
Let her sit for about 15 on idle warming up and apart from a few random slight revs it seems to be running as smooth as im used to. Still slightly holding the revs at times. I tried stopping the engine by removing the wire to the solanoid no diffrence she still runs. So stalled her left her for 30 mins and she restarted fine again a few random revs and smooths out. Can i asume its now wiring or ignition?. On my previouse post i meant she uses 5ltrs of oil over a 3-4 month period. Generally the engine does leak in some form from just about evry gasket and part lol. The engine does not overheat easily i really have to push her very hard to get the temp to go near the red and even then its more a suttle overflow from the expantion tank mainly steam no huge torrent of water.

110landyman

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 06:08:54 PM »
 have you  stretched the wire or something from working in there? i had this a few years ago it was an old wire a little bit brittle and it snaped and streched inside the caseing, it also happend to my horn recently as you know, a new wire riged in  and it was fine, but same thing it worked fine the day before then the next day it was dead lol, you can rig up the solenoid to the battery to test  if that is working fine,
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:23:25 PM by 110landyman »

110landyman

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 06:26:14 PM »
quote " I tried stopping the engine by removing the wire to the solanoid no diffrence she still runs."

Is the plunger still out? if it is you wont hear it "click" when you disconect the wire from it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:28:48 PM by 110landyman »

Scott110

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 07:33:16 PM »
Hi m8
It dont look good lol. Out on a run today and its struggling to make it up hills conks out then hard to restart. downhill its fine and on the level.
Engine is holding revs if you go over 30mph or i suppose just as the turbo is winding up highish revrange.
Is not overheating or smoking badly.
I put the plunger back in the solanoid to hear if it was popping in and out with ignition turned on and nothing. Did notice if the engine is running and you tap the spade connector there are sparks so asume the wire is live.
More worried about this conking out and holding revs.

rangerovering

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »
Check the lift pump and fuel filter, sounds like it could be fuel starvation.
Steve

Scott110

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 10:59:40 PM »
Had a wee look and the filter is seeping slightly so maybe pulling in air uphill. Regardless i sat down look at figures im just gona do a TDI convertion get it out the way so the beast ready for work season. Just deciding weather to do a straight drop in 200tdi or a remounted 300tdi. Thanks for all the advice guys but think this 19j had its day.

rangerovering

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 11:10:48 PM »
Fair dos mate best of luck with it!
If you do go tdi, what would you take for the old lump? I might have a use for it....
Steve

Scott110

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 10:16:59 AM »
Hi
I was gona strip a few parts i need for the tdi conversion. Gota make some funds for the convertion i was gona bung the 2 old TD engines on ebay should get about ?50 a engine spares or repair.