Series III heater blower connection

· 3 · 1446

CBRCBR

Series III heater blower connection
« on: December 30, 2010, 05:36:10 PM »
Hi folks. 

I'm looking for a bit of advice please, because I can't find any reference to the heater blower in the wiring diagrams for my 1972 88" Series III.  The heater blower works fine, with both speeds operating as they should.

The heater blower motor has a strange looking ceramic thing connected to it as follows:

The motor has a black wire only connected to the blower housing, which I assume is the earth.
The other cable from the motor is green & brown and is connected to one end of the ceramic tube (with twisted hand made connections!), and it then goes onto connect to the wiring loom with a proper bullet connector
At the other end of the cermic tube there is a green and yellow cable (again with a twisted hand made connection), that is only connected to the wiring loom via a bullet connector.
The ribbed ceramic tube is about 75mm long, is 9mm internal dia, and 15mm external dia.  It looks as though it was riveted to something at some stage, but is now wrapped in card board and taped to the washer jet pipe.
Any ideas what it is, and whether it should be fitted to something and wrapped in card board as the whole thing looks a bit strange to me?  I am stripping it all down to paint and remake the connections (properly) and am curious to know where I should install it.  The only reference I can find in any of the workshop manuals I have is talk about simply disconnecting or connecting the heater blower from/to the wiring loom.

Cheers, Clive.

weetoddy

Re: Series III heater blower connection
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 06:50:55 PM »
Hi mate sounds like the resistor for the fan , dont think it should be wrapped in carboard and should be rivitted to the heater box or bulkhead .

cheers Iain
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and leaky engine

ZebraDriver

Re: Series III heater blower connection
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 11:54:30 PM »
The thing you have is the resistor that allows the heater fan to have two speeds.  On top speed the fan is powered directly, on tne half speed it is fed via the resistor.  The resistor is supposed to be riveted to the back of the bulkhead but the mounts tend to corrode and they end up swinging from the wiring.  Its a good idea to re-attach it as the wiring is live when the heater is on but be aware that it will get hot during use.

ZD