Testing a Turbo

· 9 · 2713

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Testing a Turbo
« on: December 19, 2010, 09:05:16 PM »
I have a 300 Tdi 90, so no electronics to plus into Facebook or whatever....

So, How to I check the operation of the Turbo ? Engine seems to be running OK but I think its all a bit sluggish since the roll and subsequent rebuild. I towed a trailer up to Aberdeen on Thursday and it was all a bit more of an effort than I expected, 3rd gear on hills, 2nd on one bit ! Coming home empty the speedo was not leaping joyfully towards North of 70 as I seem to remember from days gone by... 

Thanks,

G. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

coolcamper55

Re: Testing a Turbo
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 09:25:45 PM »
Gene,
Is there nothing in RAVE about testing or troubleshooting the turbo?

It might be that there is a hose problem or maybe the wastegate is not fully shutting down.

When I worked with John on his, we checked the hoses to make sure they were not full of oil, should be some but not dripping, also checked the bearing there should be a small amount of play but not excessive. This was info I got from a mate who has a LR repair shop.

Apologies if I am teaching my mother's mother to suck eggs :) :)

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:28:16 PM »
I had a similar scenario where a turbo pipe was loose. And of course as suggested on every forum would be pipes degrading.

But to answer your question I think you should see movement in a turbo thingy ( sorry it's late) get the boy to rev the engine and it should kick in. Or at least that was what i was told when I doubted the slitty's performance.

Hows the series project?
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

genem

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 09:41:25 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll get the intake hose off tomorrow and have a poke about. Basically looking to check its spinning and no major movement in the bearings ?

No movement on the Series, all we've done so far is to catalogue mentally the contents of all the boxes that were in the back and a wee bit of stripping down. Chassis looks good so far, just found one hole under the F O/S spring hanger. Hoping to spend some time on it over the holiday - but as its in a pretty open shed -7c is not exactly an appealing work environment !

G.

piper5

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 07:33:16 AM »
best way to check is fit a boost gauge , even temporary, i fitted one permanently from ebay for 12 quid, but an old foot pump gauge and a length of hose and fit a plastic tee piece at the turbo actuator, drive it up a 3rd gear hill and you should see 1 bar boost from a 300tdi

genem

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
I was up at Strathearn today and asked them to plug in a boost gauge. Sure enough I currently have a 300 Di, zero Turbo boost at all. The initial symptom is that the actuator rod appears siezed. Suggestion is to get the Turbo off and try to free it myself  - but standby for needing a replacement.

While under the bonnet we also spotted that the belt tensioner pulley was solid. That will explain the burning smell then.....  :(
Looked at replacing the bearing but in the end replaced the whole tensioner unit and belt there and then.

Thanks to Strathearn again. V Helpful !

( No, I'm not on Commission....)   

stage recovery

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 11:07:04 PM »
Gene,
       keep in mind the actuator rod only has to move to release boost pressure,if it is stuck in the closed position you would end up with excess boost pressure,is the wastegate in the turbo shut tight?

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 09:58:05 AM »
The initial symptom is that the actuator rod appears siezed.

Just as I said.....
Sort of ;)  Good luck
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

genem

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 04:30:40 PM »
Held off any work on the 90 as its been getting a fair bit of use in this weather and it was still moving..... but I decided to check that the turbo was at least spinning etc....

....anyway, it soon became obvious what the likely problem was - the actuator arm is attached to the wastegate by a short stud held in place with a spring clip/circlip thing. The arm had just come adrift, so I decided that it would be a simple enough job to take off the manifolds, drop the front of the exhaust etc to get access and get it back on...... and so it proved, circlip was a minor issue but I robbed one from the wifes apple-peeler that was just the right size..... No other drama beside the usual tight bolts etc. Bolted it back up, new gaskets, fired it up.....sounded wonderful.

....then I noticed the oil. The oil all over the place just where I had been lying to bolt up the exhaust, the oil that was now dripping quite nicely, thank-you. All the wrestling with the turbo to get at the back of it, get the exhaust off etc has obviously hastened the demise of the bottom return hose. :-(

Not a stock item at the usual suspects, so I've ordered one from tinternet but it'll not be here before the back end ofd next week. :-(