TD5 New rad, new water pump and new stat still running hot

· 5 · 2077

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
TD5 New rad, new water pump and new stat still running hot
« on: December 08, 2010, 08:58:46 PM »
Hi Td5 running hot, i have fitted a new radiator, new water pump, new thermostat, and new coolant . I think theres a airlock but have emptied and refilled twice and bled from top hose srew with no success seems to be some air in the heater pipes. Took it for a run to warm it up and the bottom pipe to the stat was cold. So i'm guessing the radiator is not getting to cool the water . Also i don't trust the gauge as its working back to front (disco ecu ), i've only had the car 3 weeks and not really want to drive it about until its sorted. Checked the usual head gasket faults like water in oil and visa versa and diesel in the oil and its not smokey . If i can't fix it does any one know a landy mechanic in the know about TD5's in Helensburgh or Glasgow.
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

rangerovering

Re: TD5 New rad, new water pump and new stat still running hot
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 09:15:21 PM »
Best way to refill the coolant is with a vacuum filler, it sucks the air out of the system and then draws the coolant in.

Steve

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 09:18:29 PM »
i was thinking along that way just stupid to have the heater at the same height as expansion tank and higher than the bleeding point on the top hose.
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

jay2578

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:28:26 PM »
Or just disconnect a hose and with the bleed point opened, force water in with a hosepipe

ZebraDriver

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 08:01:52 PM »
If the gauge isnt working how do you know its running hot?  Have you tried to check the engine temp by some other (accurate) means?

ZD