jay2578

Snow on your roof!
« on: December 08, 2010, 04:37:33 PM »
Just a warning-Did you know you can be fined for driving with snow on your roof?

stan

• Ex Military 110
Re: Snow on your roof!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 04:44:17 PM »
On the car or your house? I'm not going up to clear that lot off before I get in the Landy, fine or no fine.

jay2578

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »
LMAO! I wondered when someone would say that!  ::)

jas23

• Name: John Sinclair
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 06:59:59 PM »
Turns out the texts were a load of B*****ks and police said its only good advice.

jay2578

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 07:03:17 PM »
What texts? I heard it on the news somewhere

Scott110

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 12:51:24 PM »
Lol evryones been talking about this my neighbour was asking me i asked my other neighbour and noone knew.
I was infront of the volvo t5 that kicks around dalkeith,nittin,bonnyrigg etc had a fair bit on the roof and did not get pulled.
After that i did try clear it though cause it was likje a blizzard for the drivers behind.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

CLUNYKNOX

• Highland 4x4 Response
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 03:29:06 PM »
Hi jay2578 was right it is an offence to have snow on roof of car/vans/trucks as it is an insecure load if it blows off and hits somebody
Andrew HI01
Highland 4x4 Response

jay2578

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 05:23:42 PM »
Driving to dundee yesterday a ton of ice blew off a lorry which was travelling in the opposite direction, luckily the massive chunks broke up in mid air before showering the landy! That made me jump!!! :o

jas23

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 09:59:10 PM »
OK tell me how many people got done for this ? As I said the police were asked on telly if it was true and they said no just good advice. Also last week driving from Edin to Falkirk at a snails pace you would have got at least 2 / 3 inch of snow on your roof would you have been happy for Mr PC tp nick you because you never kept your roof clear. Also try Health and Saftey about working at hights for lorry and Van roofs sure they would have a ball. Never mind maybe should just do as my company done everyone go home no pay till weather gets better ?

jay2578

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 10:18:28 AM »
Ok this is an actual quote "drivers involved in an accident, where snow on the roof is seen to be the cause, will face a ?60 fine and 3 points on their license for not driving with due care and attention"
 What I said about just getting pulled for it was incorrect

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 10:31:10 AM »
There was a notice at my local petrol station stating that people are advisedyo remove snow from their roofs or face the penalties stated.
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

jas23

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »

Quote from the MailOnline.

Motorists could face a ?60 fine and three points on their licence if snow on the roof of their car contributes to an accident.

This could apply if snow falls forward onto a driver's windscreen, obscuring the view, or backwards causing a hazard for motorists travelling behind them.

A Suffolk Police spokesman said: 'Many people are not aware of the hazard that snow on their cars can cause. Falling snow can be dangerous for all road users.'

Rule 229 of the Highway Code states, in a section entitled 'driving in adverse weather conditions', that snow should be removed from your car.

The full rule says: 'Before you set off you MUST be able to see, so clear all snow and ice from all your windows. You MUST ensure that lights are clean and number plates are clearly visible and legible, make sure the mirrors are clear and the windows are demisted thoroughly.

'Remove all snow that might fall off into the path of other road users. Check your planned route is clear of delays and that no further snowfalls or severe weather are predicted.'
But text messages warning of automatic fixed penalty notices for drivers who simply have snow on their vehicles have been dismissed as a 'hoax' by South Yorkshire Police.
However Greater Manchester and Suffolk have gone on record to say they could pursue prosecutions if the uncleared snow was deemed to have contributed to an accident.

A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said 'We haven't made any prosecutions, but we could if snow gets on the windscreen and there is an accident.

'We don't have a policy of targeting people with snow on their car roof, but we can apply discretion.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336708/Drivers-face-60-fine-snow-roof.html#ixzz17onCfykd

piper5

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 06:09:15 PM »
i asked a traffic cop mate who said you cannot be charged for snow on the roof however if you have/or cause an accident because of snow on the roof you can be charged with driving with undue care and attention which can give you 5 points and court appearance to dicide the fine and in the insurance eyes is the same code as dangerous driving

same goes for using 2 way radios, the law sates using a phone is illegal but excempts 2 way radio, but again if you cause an accident whilst using one you can be done with undue care

jas23

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 08:17:18 PM »
When we due heatwave

Graham

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 07:50:08 PM »
A policeman friend said driving with snow on the roof counts as driving with an insecure load, which carries a ?30 fixed penalty. I've not heard of anyone enforcing it though.