Speedo cable

· 8 · 1657

Graham

Speedo cable
« on: December 06, 2010, 08:32:45 PM »
My speedo cable inner has snapped, thanks to ATS leaving the outer wrapped around the exhaust. OK, so I need a new cable, and it looks easy to replace. But when I disconnect it from the transfer box, the end of the cable is round, and appears to fit in a round hole. Is there supposed to be a square peg, which is now snapped off inside the drive mechanism? If so: any tips for how I might remove it?

CairnsAndrew

Re: Speedo cable
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:02:08 PM »
If its due to ats's negligence (leaving it wrapped around the exhaust....) then they should fix it. Take it back to the branch.
1972 Series 3, Currently under restoration
1994 3dr Disco 200tdi

jay2578

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:49:50 PM »
Or just do without, and just judge it on how fast he countryside whizzes past ;D 8)

coolcamper55

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »
I tend to use the sat nav as a speedo, got into the habit with the last 90 when I changed the wheels and they were bigger so the speedo always under read

Tommy

Graham

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 11:30:33 PM »
It was years ago that they wrapped the cable around the exhaust. (Or to be more precise: fitted the exhaust on the wrong side of the cable, so the cable tended to sit against it.) Since then the cable has been held off the exhaust by a wire arrangement, which has clearly stopped working!

I hear what you're saying about not needing a speedo, but I reckon the insurance company might smell a rat if the odometer reading never changes - it's on a limited mileage policy.

geoffg

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 08:44:27 AM »
Try using a magnet to get the square end out. Has worked for me a couple of times.
Geoff  :)

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 09:21:45 AM »
One of my favourite tricks if the agent doesn't work is a stick / screwdriver etc  with some thick grease on the end. Usually does the trick for allsorts fallen where you can't reach.
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

coolcamper55

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
So that's how we get the cash out of your pocket :D :D :D