Radiator Muff

· 14 · 5174

Alanhid

Radiator Muff
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:15:53 AM »
After a long drive in freezing temp last night Im considering getting a radiator muff to keep the engine temp up and hopefully the heater temp........would be keen to get some feedback advice re the use of one of these and if you consider them a worthwhile purchase.
thanks
Alan

Def 90 TD5

coolcamper55

Re: Radiator Muff
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:22:44 AM »
Cheaper to use a bit of 6mm ply and cable ties, then if you find it improves the situation, buy a real one all of course IMHO

cedric_r

• Yorkie
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:25:15 AM »
Thanks for asking the question. I'm also interested about feedback on this. Given that the cooling of the engine works on a thermostat, I wouldn't expect any coolant to go through the radiator unless the engine is at a minimum temperature. So what would a rad muff do?
Cedric

Scott110

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 11:39:55 AM »
Hi
Got one of the ?25 paddocks muff on my 110. On real cold days its great the engine does warm up fast  i usually have to run the muff half open or the engine overheats. Im certain it also robs a little of the much needed power in my old 19j.
For the price great buy no frozen engine bay anymore heater works slightly better.
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

Petes_Series

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 06:44:16 PM »
My second season with Rad muff.

I found the the mere fact that it brings engine up to proper operating temp makes all the difference.

Who knows if the heating is improved or not, it is a series after all.
We all know that small cars are good for us. But so is cod liver oil. And jogging.

cruncher 110

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:28:33 PM »
goodo so i am not the only one thinking along these lines,i am interested to see if it improves the temperature inside landy as its not exactly warm as i am sure many would agree.btw i bought a maplins fan heater to try , 7 quid ,not much good in minus 10, alright at defrosting inside of windscreen if you got plenty of time :)

Alanhid

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 10:36:29 AM »
Well, Ive just bitten the bullet and ordered a Britpart Muff off ebay as I was out last night trying to rescue my daughter and my engine temp barely moved.............will provide a review once I get it ;D

Willie-Scott

Tommy B

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 08:56:24 PM »

On a similar topic, I've see advertised a cowel that's attached to the top of the front wing over the heater inlet vent.  It's meant to increase the air flow and make the heater work better.   Anyone got one fitted, and do they work??
If not, I'll need to add extra-thick socks and gloves to my Christmas list!!

Cheers, 
Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

Stoddy

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 09:48:38 PM »
Does anyone know if this problem also affects 300tdi discovery's?  Disco has been struggling to get to the first lineat the bottom of the temperature guage.  I've also noticed that it gets colder when sitting in traffic!  I would have thought without air flow the temperature would rise?  All was well before the mercury went sub zero.

I checked coolant levels today and all is well there.  I've tried a piece of cardboard accross the radiator and it's improved a bit but only when the vehicle is moving. 

I would welcome any constructive comments on what could be wrong, or how to fix, as wearing gattors inside the vehicle to keep my legs warm  isn't funny  ;D

Thanks  Alan

rangerovering

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 09:59:48 PM »
You will find that the engine is MASSIVELY over cooling in this weather. LR designed them to be capable of low first boulder crawling in the desert without overheating so sub zero Scotland is a bit different!

I used to wedge a bit of cardboard over half my rad to help it, it's OK now since fitting a 88 degree thermostat and plumbing the LPG vap on the return hoses in series not parallel. Also fitted an electric fan which has been the biggest improvement by a LONG way. It only cuts in after 4-5 minutes idling in traffic, the air flow is more than sufficient to cool it by itself normally.

Check your antifreeze is at correct strength (testers are well under a fiver and much cheaper than a big freeze up!), thermostat works correctly and the viscous unit on the fan has not seized. The fan should be easily turned by hand on a cold engine (switched off!!).

You could partially block the rad with something, don't cover the intercooler! If all the above is in good nick the long term solution is a Kenlowe or home brewed setup (like mine!). Diesels are more heat efficient than petrols, so you get a colder heater in weather like this unfortunately!

HTH
Steve

Stoddy

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 08:37:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Will make the additional checks you have suggested.  If it starts to run warmer over the weekend as the mercury rises then I'll fabricate a better cover for the radiator in the first instance.

thanks again

Alan

Big Slippy

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 08:49:46 PM »
Hi,

my 300Tdi 90 temp gauge runs in middle while driving 50+ mph but does the same in traffic or as at the moment 20-30mph 2nd - 3rd gear driving it just goes lower and lower to the bottom. Warming it up to come home does nothing either until driving starts.
I think its just down to the extreme temp and have tried blocking three quarters of the grille tonight and it did seem slightly better.
2005 Alive Defender 110 Double Cab
2015 Range Rover Sport

Alanhid

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 10:48:41 PM »
After last nights extreme temps I fitted a crude homemade effort consisting of a piece of roll mat with some cable ties. During my 12 mile drive to work the engine temp did get up a lot quicker and slighlty higher than yesterday, I think even the heater was a bit warmer also.
I would expect the Britpart one Ive ordered to perform a bit better as you can adjust the airflow to suit the outside temp.....hears hoping anyway :)