jay2578

Any donations of recovery gear/cb`s etc.
« on: December 03, 2010, 07:00:08 PM »
Ok, a long shot but here we go! Forming a 4x4 response group for Tayside and are looking for any donations of recovery kit, cb`s, blankets, first aid kits etc. in fact anything you feel may be useful to the group. We will, at some point in the future, be holding fundraisers, so any ideas for that would be good too.
 Thanks muchly
Jay

coolcamper55

Re: Any donations of recovery gear/cb`s etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
Just an observation but the limited range of CB's could be a hindrance, perhaps better using VHF sets with Radio Amateur licence, granted it will cost more but more dependable and can interface with other organisations.

Tommy

jay2578

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 07:31:15 PM »
Yes good call mate

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »
Most of the "Blue Light" services will now be on "Airwave" aka "Tetra". Its a trunked semi-secure network that works like a cross between a mobile phone and a radio. Lots of Home Office "Direction" post 9/11 about having a common system across the UK. As far As I know Grampian were the last Police Force to sign up, Ambulance and Fire also changing over as are some areas of the NHS....

Pukka civilian emergency response groups could probably buy some sets - but you'd still need to negotiate access to the appropriate user groups and channels if you wanted to talk to Plod or the Ambulance etc.

https://www.airwavesolutions.co.uk/

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

coolcamper55

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 08:02:44 PM »
Agree with the aspect of PSBR network aka Airwave, although the Fire team are just at the early stages of implementation into the vehicles, also the personal sets are not very good in fire sutuations.

genem

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »
....the personal sets are not very good in fire sutuations.

Being too warm is probably not an issue at the moment !! My best challenge was the range wardens on Dartmoor. They wanted to be able to use the kit while riding a horse in a rainstorm. Solved it by asking the Met what they used for their mounted guys....and putting the handset into a plastic bag...

;)

jay2578

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 08:58:15 PM »
I don`t want to be a party pooper, but we are getting away from the point a little here! Useful info, but not what the post was intended for guys

geoff

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 09:40:02 PM »
but it keeps the thread and your original request at the top. Otherwise it would fall off the bottom.

Geoff

genem

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 10:10:45 PM »
I don`t want to be a party pooper, but we are getting away from the point a little here! Useful info, but not what the post was intended for guys

Jamie. I'll not be a party-pooper either but collecting a shed-load of donated kit someplace is probably not that useful. Better if your members had their own stache of basic winter/flood gear at home. Hardly a rapid response if you have to drive across the county to gear up - and the start of clipboard-itis and "The Committee" as someone has to store it, account for it, decide to write it off, buy new gear, run the log-books for the strops and ropes.....and then there is Insurance.

Keep it simple - a list of volunteers and their contacts.  Just a thought.  

Amended to add... that comes across a tad negative. I don't mean to be, just suggesting that the simpler you can keep it the better.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 11:17:09 PM by genem »

jay2578

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 08:53:11 AM »

Jamie. I'll not be a party-pooper either but collecting a shed-load of donated kit someplace is probably not that useful. Better if your members had their own stache of basic winter/flood gear at home. Hardly a rapid response if you have to drive across the county to gear up - and the start of clipboard-itis and "The Committee" as someone has to store it, account for it, decide to write it off, buy new gear, run the log-books for the strops and ropes.....and then there is Insurance.

Keep it simple - a list of volunteers and their contacts.  Just a thought.  

Amended to add... that comes across a tad negative. I don't mean to be, just suggesting that the simpler you can keep it the better.

The idea is that each member has their own recovery kit etc, and not have to go to and collect it from anywhere, but we need to source the kits from somewhere, and I thought this would be a good place to start

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 09:19:17 AM »
I have a pile of ropes we can use for towing. That's a start.
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

jay2578

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 09:28:52 AM »
Nice one jon

chiboy24659

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 10:41:43 AM »
   8) Try getting in touch with this group to find out what you need to do to start up and what your going to need

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire 4x4 Response.org

Hope it's of help  8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:47:29 AM by chiboy24659 »
300 v8i Discovery with a few mods lol

jay2578

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 11:31:52 AM »
Cheers mate, I have been a member of the national group for a while and have pretty good communication with the other groups

piper5

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »
beware of what kit you use it must be (fit for purpose) being the buzz words ie if it has been designed for the use you are putting it to ,
if you are using the correct kit as a good samaritan and an accident happens you should be ok in a court of law, however if you make your own kit or tow with a bit rope with a couple of knots tied in it you leave yourself wide open.
also as gene said before if you have a load of club kit that you loan out it all has to be tested certified insured blah blah blah, nightmare to sort out
can i suggest you look up tayside raynet and talk to them and offer the 4x4s to there comms people, i think diana baines is on the this forum she would be a start, i know in the dundee area they have been using the civil defence people to help this week.