Defender heater/Kenlowe pre-heat

· 3 · 1293

Big Slippy

Defender heater/Kenlowe pre-heat
« on: November 28, 2010, 04:40:55 PM »
Hi,

I've just bought a 1996 90 300Tdi and the heater is inop, no blower either. Upon investigating, the fuse had been removed. Once replaced it sparked a bit but did not blow, so I'm thinking the heater box needs removed and the blower motor checked with probably a new one being needed in the end. Has anyone any previous experience or tips incase its something simple?
Also, attached to the heater box is a Kenlowe Pre-heat canister, plumbed into the cylinder head. The canister gets very hot when running (its the only place there is any heat!) I cant find any switch or remote control for it. Does anyone have experience of these or know how I use it?

I bought it on Thursday and drove 8hrs home with no radio, no heater, the lights going on/off at will on the motorway and I've been in boats that steered quicker! However, we bonded on the way and I'm looking forward to some off roading once jobs sorted. Oh, and I couldn't turn corners anyway cos my legs jammed the steering wheel.!

Any comments welcome.

Thanks

Michael

2005 Alive Defender 110 Double Cab
2015 Range Rover Sport

geoffg

Re: Defender heater/Kenlowe pre-heat
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 06:18:09 PM »
With reference to the legs issue, remove the seats, bolt in 4 pieces of 50mm box section, 2 each side, (passenger and driver) and mount the seats on them. This not only gives you more height, but the seats can move a bit further back. Also you can angle grind the lip off the top of the bulkhead behind the seats to allow more backward movement.
Hope this solves one of your problems.
Geoff :)

Big Slippy

Re: Defender heater/Kenlowe pre-heat
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »
Thanks Geoff,

I've noticed that the seats are already on extended rails, but will look at the bulkhead suggestion. It's quite busy back there with dog guard on top of bulkhead and internal roll cage. I've ordered a 14" steering wheel to help with my 6ft 4 lump.!
2005 Alive Defender 110 Double Cab
2015 Range Rover Sport