Computer dying, any advise!?!

· 15 · 2841

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
Computer dying, any advise!?!
« on: November 22, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Hopefully some pc literate person can help me before I have to put my hand in my pocket! Came home tonight to find laptop only works in safe mode with networking. It will load up normally but as soon as I try to open a folder,document or explorer it just freezes and makes a lot of high pitched noised like grating metal (can't think of any other way to describe it). I've tried system repair which found nothing, load a previous configuration which wouldn't work. I have to pull the battery out just to switch it off but as previously mentioned it works fine in safe mode. No new software has been installed and yes I have a firewall and virus guard (norton).
Really annoying as Mrs Black Sheep is job hunting and uses it everyday. She said it's been like this since she switched it on this morning.
Any advise appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance
Ross

tgreer

Re: Computer dying, any advise!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:35:35 PM »
Sounds like the hard drive failing... Go into safe mode. Put all docs on external hard drive immediately.

Where are you located?

Thomas
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

Black Sheep

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 09:44:40 PM »
I'm in Livingston. Fortunatly I backed all my pics up just last week as that's all I keep on it.

coolcamper55

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 09:47:33 PM »
Have you got a set of recovery disks?

Also is there a disk in the disk drive thst might be making the grinding sound?

Hope you get it sorted

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 09:58:30 PM »
sounds like a job for the landrover tool.....wheres the hammer :P :P
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

Black Sheep

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 09:59:01 PM »
No recovery disks I'm afraid and nothing in the disk drive. From previous experience with computers I'm expecting the worst. I'd chuck it in the garage with the jeep but I really need to keep it running for my wife as mentioned previously.

Black Sheep

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 10:00:35 PM »
sounds like a job for the landrover tool.....wheres the hammer :P :P
I was wondering when you would pop up lol And btw I believe it's an universal tool and not just designed for landrovers  :)

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 10:09:59 PM »
No recovery disks I'm afraid and nothing in the disk drive. From previous experience with computers I'm expecting the worst. I'd chuck it in the garage with the jeep but I really need to keep it running for my wife as mentioned previously.

The external drive my wife was using has just done the same.... Unless you have a guru who can unpick the actual disc and slap it in another drive you are probably goosed. Another good reason for backing everything up to more than one location !

....I've got 15,000 photos on a hard-drive - all family safe before anyone comments ! - any suggestions on a good place to host them ? 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

tgreer

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 10:19:23 PM »
Gene, PM me I'll sort you out.

Ross, Give me a shout also... I'll see what I can sort out for you.

Thomas
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

coolcamper55

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 10:23:08 PM »
Ross,

This might be worth a try, google Advanced System Care. Its got a free package and in it there are utilities that can restore irregularities on the hard disk or can do a disk check, clean up.

Might be worth a punt, I use it regularly to keep mine tuned up and clear of viruses, trojans etc and clear up registry issues

Tommy B

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 11:57:06 PM »

How come they both break 'after the wife was using it'???

Just a coincidence............I think not!!
Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

CairnsAndrew

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 12:18:07 AM »
Depending on your isp. They usually give you so much hosting space to remotely store stuff on their hard drives. I use Ian sticks to store things I need regularly and archive onto dvds and hdds that I keep in boxes.
1972 Series 3, Currently under restoration
1994 3dr Disco 200tdi

Scott110

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 07:53:07 AM »
HI
Bloody computers.
Asked a fella i know who knows comps gave me a few pointers.
Never asume your data is lost unless the storage device is complelty destroyed most IT boys can read them or transfer data etc.
You can start windows on a diagnostic mode when you do this it loads the system on a blank screen loading each service or program in a series.
Most the time this will show you whats failed. You do this at the initial load screen or if windows started in safe mode go into Run program. Type MSCONFIG and select diagnostic setup next time started will run the screen mentioned keep a pen handy write any errors down. You can also try starting defualt services on the same section it could be a simple service was turned off. Worth a bash.This wont wipe windows in anyway it just loads it either in defualt mode or a diagnostic mode.
Good luck.
Also just been told windows done a mjaor update about 3 days ago if your laptop auto downloaded it something may be conflicting if windows restore is enabled you could go back a week see if it helps.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:57:56 AM by Scott110 »
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

Black Sheep

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 10:08:43 PM »
Folks, thanks for all the advise. Unfortunatly it went really tits up and wouldn't even let me into safe mode. One trip later to argos and Mrs T now has new notepad mini toshiba. I'll get the old laptop sorted later now the panic is offer lol
Thanks again.
Ross

tgreer

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 10:22:50 PM »
Ross

I can still get the data off the hard disk even if windows wont boot. As I said, PM me and we'll sort something out.

Thomas
3.0L V6 Ford Essex